add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
turnipstar
  • 71 months ago

Hi all,

First ever build, I would say I'm fairly new to building PC's so go easy on me.

Looking to build a sub £500 rig, mainly gaming (CS:GO,Minecraft,BF4,Skyrim etc) on decent settings with mods. I will more than likely be delving into OCing in the future. I look more for performance/price ratio than just pure performance, not made of money unfortunately lol

Here's the list http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/turnipstar/saved/cW7p99

Just a few side notes, I have a custom case already, 1tb HD too. Not the most knowledgeable when it comes to certain aspects of PC parts so I kind of put this together reading reviews, looking at other people rigs etc. Please let me know if there is anything you would swap out etc I would of preferred an i5 CPU but just to far out the budget and for a gaming rig I assumed I would be better off putting more money into the GPU? Also gone a bit overboard on the PSU but I had in mind possible taking advantage of crossfire in the future when money became available for another GPU so please let me know if this is a good or bad idea

Thank you kindly in advance

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Not too keen on that SSD. If it were cheaper, perhaps, but they have gone downhill recently. Perhaps this one instead.

The Crossfire idea..I probably wouldn't do that myself. Mainly because that 280 card will last quite a while at 1080p, so there wouldn't be any need. Plus I'm not a fan of the extra power consumption/heat. Here's an alternative PSU, should you decide against it.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

SSD option will be changed thank you for the advice! I wanted to future proof as much as possible, would the PSU generate more heat even though the extra power isn't being used yet? (not being funny just a genuine query:) )

Thank you for the advice!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

It's the GPU that would provide the extra heat, rather than the PSU. So I wouldn't be concerned if you were to go for a 750W PSU now - you will not notice any difference over the 550W I recommended.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahhhh right I understand now, basically if I were to introduce another GPU I need to consider the extra heat being generated in the case? thank you Jason, I will post on here to ask for advice before I go ahead with a second GPU

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

This looks pretty good to me to be honest - great value for under £500!

The FX-6300 is a good option if you want to OC on a budget, but you might want to spend a bit extra on the motherboard if you want to be sure to have a good OC platform. Something like these three might be worth considering:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-990fxextreme3

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga990xaud3

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-990fxagd65

Other than that, it looks like a great selection of parts! You're spot on right when it comes to the CPU vs GPU money spending. You'll get a much larger benefit from channeling funds into the GPU than the CPU in this case.

Getting a large PSU is never really a bad idea - especially not if you want to crossfire in the future. Even if you don't, it doesn't really hurt much to have that extra capacity there.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you for replying, I wasn't sure in terms of motherboards which was best for OCing I will definitely take a look into the above Mobos! :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not an expert on AMD motherboards, though, but as far as I know, the 990FX chipset is where it's at :-)

Good luck!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good to me for a budget build. AMD is good on a budget but obviously won't get as great performance as an i5 for both stock and overclocking.

PSU might be overkill right now (as you said) but will be good if you ever want to expand; just make sure your case can support it.

Main thing I would recommend is to swap out the Kingston SSD with a Samsung Evo840. It is 12 pounds more for the same capacity, but if you can afford it, it is well worth it. I've heard some pretty nasty things about Kingston SSD's, specifically about their speeds and the drivers being really bad.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you Eric, SSD will definitely be changed because of yours and Jason's advice :) in terms of fitting PSU do you refer to its actual size? thank you again

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU come with a CPU Cooler btw.

Just letting you know if you didn't know

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply :)

I know it comes with a stock cooler I was just thinking about OCing and from what I've heard these CPU's generate a fair amount of heat with the smalled amount of OC?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh yea. Your gonna want to buy a CPU cooler then. Good luck :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

lol the only part I didn't read was you wanting to OC your PC. My bad.

Great build

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube