add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Good Mobo Choice for my build?

striker477
  • 71 months ago

This is my current build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/striker477/saved/vRHWGX

I'm thinking of switching out the processor for a AMD FX 8350 unless someone has a better recommendation around the same price.

Anyway, I know for that to work I would have to switch my motherboard, What would be a good choice to go with the build?

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Not trying to be rude, but for $1200, you can get a better build. To answer your question first, I would advise going with a 8320, rather than a 8350 and overclock it to a 4.00Ghz clock speed. Temps should be fine seeing that you are going to buy a CoolerMaster EVO. Though if you don't want to dabble with overclocking, the 8350 should do.

As for the motherboard, here's decent one that'll work with a 8320/8350. Its a Gigabyte 990FX, but you might be able to find one thats a bit cheaper and perform similarly. Maybe from MSI or ASRock.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga990fxaud3

A change that you should make to your build is the HDD. You can go with a WD Blue HDD for about the same price(or a Seagate Barracuda). It'll have a 7200RPM, and twice as much storage.(The 1TB model) You can also swap out the PSU for a lower wattage one. You currently are overpaying for 850W. You can get a 750W PSU for about $100. Consider this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cs750m

Also, do you really need a Full tower case? Unless you are going to be doing custom watercooling or a Xfire/SLI setup, a Mid-tower should be fine. It'll save you money and space. And the OS... for gaming and daily use, there really isn't a reason to spend $400 on it.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

This pc has already been built i'm just simply looking at upgrading cpu and mobo. I'm eventually looking at getting a ssd for my games and the os and yeah I accidenly selected the wrong os lol.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh okay xD. Just know that when you swap CPU and mobo, you'll need another copy of the OS. And yeah, what I said above. A 8320 if you wanna overclock, and a 8350 if you don't wanna overclock. I think both those chips will work with the Gigabyte board I linked above too.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, thank you very much for the input one question though. Why would I need another copy of my OS?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

My bad, I didn't mean another copy. Its advised to do a fresh install off the disk, but sometimes not necessary.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube