add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I hope my wife never sees this...

zombuilder
  • 71 months ago

You know that I NEED TO BUILD A PC itch?

The one that only goes away when the boxes from NewEgg start arriving?

Anyway, I picked performance, as in I7-4770k, mixed in a little bit of luxury, such as nice quiet case, an SSD and Bluray playback.

There's no GPU yet - that one will have to wait a few weeks...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Note: Motherboard is bundled with CPU.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $303.08 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $113.67
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $88.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $112.98 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $139.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $43.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $102.98 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1105.66

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Only problem I see is that your psu is one of the low quality ones from an otherwise high quality brand... The cx line is a dud

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I upped the PSU to an HX pro. The original posting has been updated.

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 2 points

For the same price as the 840 pro you can get a 256gb cheaper model. I recommend that route actually. The Crucial MX100 comes to mind. The power supply is fine, but if you wanted to up the quality I would go with the 10 year warrantied EVGA Supernova NEX 750w. Review.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, went with your Supernova Nex PSU (850W version) and Crucial MX100 SSD recommendation, after lots of agony :)

Check the updated original post, duplicated below.

The PSU actually has a $30 mail in rebate from Newegg which is not shown.

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $303.08 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $139.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $88.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $112.98 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $139.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $43.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $102.98 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1131.98
  • 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Those small changes look good. It should support any gpu you throw at it with that psu also... Or 2 of most models

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the good advice! This will be a fun build.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Looks like you are trying to order from a single location. You would save about $30 if you include amazon and NCIX in your list of acceptable merchants.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

My OCD is willing to pay $30 for the perceived "order" of using a single source, though I will have to drive to Microcenter to pick up the CPU :)

Also, there is a $30 rebate at Newegg on the PSU which is not shown.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

You will receive a discount on a MB Microcenter has instock when you buy the CPU at the same time. Another $40 saved.

Enjoy whatever you choose!!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately I have to pay 8.25% sales tax at Microcenter! Did anyone say BITCOIN...

Anyways, I will take a look at their bundle discount, last time I checked it was with fairly pricey motherboards!

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

I think it is for any in-stock MB these days. It was only on Z series boards. You can check by putting your choices in your cart on the website to see if the discount applied.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Here are the deals I see http://imgur.com/IjLZIrA

Those mothers are all fairly pricey compared to the GA-Z97X

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube