add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How's this silent build?

HopefullyItWorks
  • 71 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Rxdt99 I know quiet fans are a better alternative, but I want complete silence! (blu-ray player is an exception)

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a good build u better know how to over clock or else the gpu will get bottlenecked lol, btw the stock cooler is going to be quite loud too so ya

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That power supply is really expensive, why don't you go with 80+ bronze, 500 watts

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr

you will save almost 100 dollars.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

It's fan less.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The thing about passive cooling on high performance components is you need strong case airflow to make it work. To passively cool a 270X and an overclocked g3258 you would likely need to swap the stock front fans to 3x120mm and get 2x140mm fans for the roof. That would defeat the purpose of silence.

I think you would be better off with a quiet CPU cooler and a Kraken G10 on your 270X.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm taking off the fans, and my goal is no sound from the PC.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That's really one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard. By reducing airflow to the GPU and CPU, the fans that cool those (assuming you leave them on) will be HOWLING due to all of the hot air in the case. You always need at least one intake and one exhaust fan.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't understand. My point is that if you want passive heatsinks for your CPU and GPU you're going to NEED a bunch of case fans to make up for not having heatsink fans...

Seriously with hot components such as yours it's better to have fans on JUST the coolers and no case fans at all. That's as silent as you're going to get without overheating everything.

Would you rather have a passive heatsink and 7 case fans or 2 heatsink fans an 0 case fans?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Changed the case to a really nice silent one, and changed the PSU to shave off some $

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor $40.00
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $60.00
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $74.70 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Micro Center
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card $159.99 @ Newegg
Case BitFenix Ghost (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $64.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $49.99 @ Newegg
Other Nofan cr-95c passive CPU cooler $100.00
Other Arctic accelerometer s1 plus passive VGA cooler $45.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $769.65
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a fanless psu, and I need max airflow from the air 540.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Most PSUs won't activate their fan unless necessary. Mine barely uses it, and it's totally silent even when it does.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, you should look into a noctua CPU cooler. Like this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhl9i

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube