add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build - $1300 - Programming/Medium Gaming/Multitasking

Protato
  • 71 months ago

For the past 4 years Ive been using a terrible laptop and I want this to change. I was something that can handle higher demanding games and good for multitasking. I also want something that can will be future proof and easily up gradable. Here is the items i have picked:

UPDATED: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $279.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $199.99 @ NCIX US
Memory G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $78.30 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $80.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Micro Center
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $314.99 @ NCIX US
Case Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1284.19

Please give me your honest feedback. Thanks!

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly that's a pretty awesome build! You chose great parts, well done!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for replying! Ive never built a computer from scratch before.. just looking others opinions.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

where do you get a 4790k at $279?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I manually entered the price from Micro Center (in store pick up only)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

ohhh cool. if thats a sale or something definitely get it asap. but i agree its a really good build. really good value too. maybe like Alex.the.Riddler suggested, go for the 16gb RAM, since the CPU is so good.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That looks great to me as well!

I only say this because you put multitasking in the title, maybe consider 16GB of RAM depending on how much multitasking you actually want to do.

Also, that mobo supports faster memory, which is almost the same price finally. You could even stick with Corsair Vengeance Pro for 3 more bucks. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmy8gx3m2a2400c11r

Or if you decide you want 16GB, that's more of an investment. I'd recommend one of these. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32400c11d16gsr http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmy16gx3m2a2400c11r

All in all great build! It's rare that I can hardly offer suggestions.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestion! I was debating over 8gb and 16b. I saw these while browsing on my phone and I was unsure about cas 9 vs 11 you suggested. Is CAS very important, if not, sure ill gladly upgrade to 2400 for the little extra.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

For the faster ram, it will have a higher Cas. 11 for 2400mhz is good. Overall it is much faster

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, Ill update that now.. Thanks again!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If you plan to over clock, get a better cooler, if your not planning to, then you don't even need that cooler.

You don't need thermal paste. It comes with the cooler.

The ram is over priced for its speed.

For about $10 - $30 bucks more you can have FAR higher end graphics with one of the 290 cards that are on sale. (780 performance or better)

And 16gb ram (2x8gb) is a better idea for multi tasking.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all your suggestions! I do not plan on overclocking at the moment but I may want to in the future which is why I picked the unlocked version.

As far as the cooler, I have no knowledge on which ones are good. Maybe use stock cooler then upgrade to liquid cooler for OC?

I updated the ram on a suggested post above from 1866 -> 2400 for $5 more. If this worked let me know. Ill consider 16gb RAM

For the graphics card, Im really looking for nvidia and not too much out of the current price.

Thanks!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll never understand you Nvidia die hards lol

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Here, save some cash and get a lower cas of 10 also... http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32400c10d8gtx

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I really liked the look of corsair veng pro but those have a great deal atm... Thanks

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

When buying a high end motherboard like that a fraction of what you are paying is for high speed ram compatibility.

I would go for some 2400 ram instead.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32400c10d8gtx

The one above is cheaper than what you have and faster. That said a few suggestions down bellow seem to promote vengeance ram. It is more expensive but has a good reputation, so feel free to go for either.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I upgraded from 1866 to 2400 already, Thanks for your input!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube