add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Time Home Server Build

Benny1560
  • 71 months ago

Goal: To build a home server that can be a file server, media streamer, data back up center, printer sharing, and VPN server (with remote access). Would like to have the option to run an e-mail server and web server in the future if desired (willing to upgrade/expand as needed at that time). I will not be running games nor doing video editing.

Background/experience: Relatively little. I've switched out video cards and installed a hard drive on a desktop PC but that's about it. Somewhat familiar with Linux (Fedora) but primarily through the GUI; I've rarely delved into the command prompt and am hesitant to do so without specific instructions.

CPU: Intel Celeron G1820 2.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($47.99 @ Mwave) Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.99 @ Mwave) Memory: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($43.74 @ Amazon) Storage: 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US) Case: Thermaltake VL520B1N2U Mini ITX Tower Case w/220W Power Supply ($64.60 @ Mwave) Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($43.99 @ Newegg) Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter ($29.71 @ Amazon) Total: $448.00

Would appreciate any constructive criticism of the above server build. Definitely budget conscious so any suggestions to trim redundant capabilities (except for number of hard drives) would be especially appreciated. Also, would appreciate any suggestions for a preferred OS (Ubuntu, OS X Server?).

FWIW, not that I think it matters too much, the components I would be attaching to the network through a Linksys Router are: - 1x MBP - 1x MBA - 2x iPhone 5 - 1x LG HD TV - 1x PS3 - 1x HP Printer

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Suggest that you decide on the Linux distro first, then check for any hardware requirements/quirks/avoids... of that particular distro/release. e.g. some may not play nice with specific LAN chips on some mobos.
  • Ubuntu server is likely to have the most printed documentation. e.g. Study guides and what not.
  • CentOS is also worth consideraton since you dabbled with Fedora.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube