add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First PC build, need feedback

RoryPC
  • 71 months ago

Hello everyone! This is my first ever PC gaming build! :D My budget for this build was £1000 and I just about went over the budget, but it's all good. What I would like to know is if everything is compatible or if I missed something, if there will be any bottlenecking issues, or if there will be any problems with this build. This build will be primarily for gaming and editing and the rest probably for some programming and schoolwork.

Here it is: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/CyQxRB

Thanks in advance! (don't be too harsh lol) :D

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The optical drive is a bit expensive. I would recommend getting a cheaper optical drive unless you plan to burn content onto blu-ray. After the change is made, you could just keep the extra money or allocate it into a different section of the build, such as a slightly more expensive/higher quality motherboard.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I thought the same. I'll defo look into it. Thanks

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Go with the 4690k and a z97 motherboard to go along with it, it is the newer version but it costs the same.

Unless you are doing some extreme overcloxking, a cheaper CPU cooler like the 212 evo will perform as good or better than the H100i.

Why Windows 7? No DX 11.1 or 11.2 and no DX 12 in the future. There are other features you won't get either. If the interface seems that bad to you you can just get Classic Shell.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info :) I went with windows 7 because honestly I hate the layout of 8. I just find it strange and weird looking, but I also hear that there are some compatibility issues with 8 when gaming? Is this true? DO you know anything about this? Thanks again.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

While the new Metro interface does kind of suck, it was vastly improved with the Windows 8.1 update. Now you can boot straight to the desktop, and with Classic Shell you can essentially hide it completely (it brings back the start menu too).

And yes, when Windows 8 was first released, there were some compatabiliy issues with some games (as there always will be with a new OS update), but most if not all of them were fixed with driver updates and Windows 8.1. What you may be referring to is XP mode, for which there is unfortunately no easy replacement. With newer games, however, almost the opposite is true. For example, Battlefield 4 uses DX11.1 with a fallback for older DX versions. DX11.1 is only available on Windows 8. The same will apply to DX11.2 and DX12. And when no fallback is included in a future game, Windows 7 will be out of luck.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright man I'll have a look. Is it definitely worth the extra £30?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say so. It also has much faster boot times, is less resource intensive, is more secure, has better multi-monitor management, and Windows 7 mainstream support ends on January 13, 2015.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks for the help man :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Intel Core i5-4670K w/ MSI Z87-G55: As already pointed out, more recent models available.
  • Kingston SSDNow V300: Many avoid due to the following: TheTechReport and AnandTech
  • Kingston KHX16C10B1RK2/16X: Alternative with better specs but lower costs. KHX16LC10X3K2/16X
  • Corsair CX600M: Better quality alternative. XFX P1-550S-XXB9
  • Windows 7 Professional: That is definitely a nice price. Too bad I'm not in the UK. :(
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! This was very helpful :) Yeah I realised that it was relatively cheaper in the UK lol :) Thanks again!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £161.94 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler £80.81 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £88.76 @ Scan.co.uk
Memory Kingston Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £58.18 @ Amazon UK
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £77.10 @ Scan.co.uk
Storage Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive £53.99 @ Aria PC
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card £279.59 @ Aria PC
Case NZXT Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case £54.95 @ Aria PC
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £49.93 @ CCL Computers
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer £11.09 @ Aria PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) £79.20 @ Amazon UK
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £995.54

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube