add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I Present To You Two Systems Worthy Of Names

derektkd456
  • 71 months ago

Firstly I was to introduce The Corsair Legend

Uses: This system will be used primarily as a media server, video encoding & ripping, music encoding & management, some gaming, and heavy multi-tasking. Storage arrangements will be as follows: SSD will be used for games & operating system (along with programs), 1 TB will be used for downloads and scrape drive basically, 2 TB will be used for music & photos, 2 TB will be used for backing up 3 computers in total, and a 2 TB for my movies.

Updated:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $114.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $204.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $189.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $444.36 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $83.50 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $369.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $369.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 760T Black ATX Full Tower Case $160.48 @ Micro Center
Power Supply Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $323.08 @ Micro Center
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $21.38 @ Micro Center
Monitor Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor $169.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Rosewill Hyperborea 89.5 CFM 140mm Fan $9.10 @ Newegg
Case Fan Rosewill Hyperborea 57.5 CFM 120mm Fan $9.99 @ Amazon
Fan Controller NZXT SENTRY 3 Fan Controller $34.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard $114.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Corsair Raptor M45 Wired Optical Mouse $58.53 @ Amazon
Headphones Rosewill RHTS-8206 5.1 Channel Headset $39.99 @ Amazon
Speakers Genius SW-G2.1 1250 38W 2.1ch Speakers $49.99 @ Amazon
Other BitFenix Alchemy Connect™ 30 LED Light Strip - 600mm - White + Sleeved Cabling (BFA-ACL-60WK30-RP) $36.98
Other Corsair MM200 Gaming Mouse Mat — Extended Edition $34.99
Other Corsair Individually Sleeved 24pin ATX Cable (Generation 2), BLACK $19.99
Other Corsair Professional Individually sleeved DC Cable Kit, Type 3 (Generation 2), BLACK $79.99
Other Logitech F310 (940-000110) Gamepad $29.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $3837.43

Secondly I want to introduce: The Luxe Edition of Performance

Uses: This computer will be used for heavy gaming & every day tasks, such as web browsing, and light music management.

Updated:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $114.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $209.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $94.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $444.36 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card $699.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $179.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $21.38 @ Micro Center
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) $122.98 @ Newegg
Fan Controller NZXT SENTRY 3 Fan Controller $34.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Logitech K800 Wireless Slim Keyboard $64.99 @ Amazon
Headphones Rosewill RHTS-8206 5.1 Channel Headset $39.99 @ Amazon
Other Logitech F310 (940-000110) Gamepad $29.99
Other Creative T15 Wireless Bluetooth 2.0 Computer Speaker System $59.99
Other Corsair Professional Individually Sleeved DC Cable Kit, Type 3 (Generation 2), Black $119.99
Other Phanteks Enthoo Luxe $149.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2854.06

Suggestions & Questions welcome, just be nice about it.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

So I'm not quite understanding everything correctly.

You're going to build two computers.

One will be for media, encoding and ripping music and videos, multitasking, and some gaming. So you're spending $4000 on it giving it the luxury treatment and crossfire and all this fancy dancy hardware.

The second build is for gaming, and every day things and sounds like it will be your main computer. You also put in almost 10 cheap fans.

Which is mind boggling because I don't understand how you're going to manage time between the computers. Are you just going to leave one to run while it's encoding and ripping all your stuff and then go do gaming on the second rig? When you say media server do you actually plan to set it up like a server so that you can access your media any time you need to from any computer in your house? It really sounds like you're putting your budget sort of in the wrong places, or I'm just really really confused.

The problem with the first build is the it sounds like encoding is mostly processor work. I don't think you need to crossfire two high end cards or even need three monitors for the build that you don't even plan to do major gaming on. It sounds like you're mostly going to be using it for media management, playback and such, so perhaps this build would be better suited. It has a Xeon processor since workload is mainly CPU it sounds like. You won't be able to overclock, but it doesn't seem practical to overclock and it doesn't sound like you will. You didn't specify. It also has 16gb of RAM for the multitasking, cheaper storage options (they're still reliable. Seagate is great), and a single gtx 760, since I don't think you should really spend more of your budget on graphics cards in a computer that you're going to be doing some gaming in. It also features a single IPS panel monitor since I don't see why you need three for media playback, and IPS for color. A cheaper Seasonic PSU unit that has a more proper amount of wattage and is still very reliable, a cheaper keyboard since you could really just get the expensive and nice keyboard/mouse for the gaming build, and the headphones with room for more peripherals.

The problem with the second build is that it sounds like it's going to be your main personal use performance rig, but it can definitely be improved. It almost seems like you're just putting parts in that will work. Here's my suggestion for the second build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mxmJgs It has the same CPU, same cooler, an Asus ROG series motherboard, 16gb of RAM for futureproofing and because there's room in the budget, same SSD and with a 2tb HDD for mass storage, TWO r9 290x videocards that will offer exceptional performance and will benefit from having 4gb of ram on them, a 1000W Seasonic PSU unit that is 80+ Platinum and fully modular, optical drive, OS, a 4k resolution monitor (which is where the 4gb of ram on the videocards will be useful), a bunch of quality fans and an great keyboard/mouse for gaming as well as the same case, plenty of budget for more peripherals and looky loos or whatever else you want to get. Yes, the two r9 290x's will play a lot of modern titles at 60fps on 4k resolution, which looks much better than 1080p.

So here are my suggestions, and I'm sorry if I'm not understanding something that you're talking about or whatnot. If you don't take my suggestions, both of your partslists look great anyways.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

No, two people will be using these two computers. First one (Corsair Legend) is mine personally, however the second one (Luxe Edition of Performance) is my fiance's.

I have two graphics cards to run 3 screens. I do heavy multitasking and when I do play games on mine I want to run in eyefinity...I'm not sure if a single 780 ti would do the job or not. I do play games such as Watchdogs, Batman, and some of the other more demanding games in that area...so when I do game I need a pretty graphically inclined computer.

My fiance's build (second one) is her first computer. She does more gaming then I do, and will probably never touch that 1 TB drive, especially if I drop a 500 GB SSD in it, she installs and uninstalls games as soon as shes done, and doesn't ever download anything unless its on a disc. Also I did not chose the 290x since the TI's were a little cheaper and are suppose to run cooler...maybe I'm wrong tho? She is upgrading from a laptop that had 300 gb worth of space, and never went over half of that space...she treats electronics like there gold.

Sorry for not clarifying that but I really like some of your opinions...also do they make 4k monitors for 24" monitors? She doesn't want anything bigger then that because of space issues. Also would I need to SLI or Crossfire to get smooth frame rates on high settings on a 4k?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Aaaaah, that makes much more sense.

Two graphics cards for eyefinity is ideal, but I'm not sure that one big monitor and two smaller monitors is the most ideal. I would consider getting three same sized monitors, since I'm pretty sure the two smaller screens would have things different sizes and would look a bit funny in games. Although if you mean that you just plan to play on one monitor and use the others for misc. stuff while you game (skype, internet and such), then getting one 780 Ti or r9 290x would suffice.

Fiance, huh? Congratulations on finding the girl you'll hopefully spend the rest of your life with. r9 290x's are known to run a bit hotter than geforce cards, and the 780 Ti will offer a bit better performance over the r9 290x, but will cost a bit more. You may also consider getting better quality and quieter fans for your fiances computer, since according to reviews, the rosewill fans get loud past 50% speed, and I can't imagine how loud 9 of them would be, even at lower speeds.

With the current power of hardware, you would need to SLI or crossfire to run games at high or max settings with smooth FPS at 4k resolution. They also don't make 24" 4k resolution monitors so far, so you're out of luck. 1080p will still look pretty good though.

Now that everything is clarified, those are my only real suggestions, everything else looks fine though.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks I will make some changes and post it back here when I am done *edit it.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

edited.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Now that you know your more then welcome to help :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

From the top:

Drop the ASUS boards, they're ridiculously over priced for what you're getting. If you want a red and black theme, take a look at the ASRock z97x killer, or the Gigabyte Gaming 3/5 or just the SLI. If you need wireless just pick up a wireless card separately it's MUCH cheaper.

Honestly unless you're going for the 1tb range SSDs, I'd pick up a PNY XLR8 and save money instead of EVOs. The simple reality is you're NOT going to notice the difference in performance between them in real world usage.

I honestly wouldn't pay the premiums for WD blacks. I've used blacks, reds, greens, barracudas name it and honestly in real world performance they aren't that different. If you need reliability for backups, pick up WD reds, otherwise I'd just grab barracudas.

Do NOT go for ASUS DCII coolers on AMD. They didn't bother redesigning the cooler for the r9 290 series and as a result several heatpipes do not even come into contact with the GPU die, making it considerably warmer than most of the competition. I love the look of the double dissipations, but another option worth considering is the powercolor PCS+ which arguably has the best cooler on the market right now.

For the PSU, ditch corsair and go for EVGA. They're cheaper, and they have custom sleeves you can buy from their site and off Amazon as well.

The corsair AF series of fans are pretty trashy after having messed with them myself. Also the 2 140mm ones were you intending to use those on the H110? Bad idea as they're airflow optimized instead of static pressure, which is what you need for radiators. For rad fans take a look at the Aerocool DS Dead Silence series. They come in red, black, blue, and white and outperform most fans out there. Otherwise grab noiseblocker eloops (aquatuning.us sells them, you can see how they look in my builds). For case fans at the 140mm range I personally like the scythe slipstreams.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I read this a while ago but one of the comments you made is really bothering me.

Drop the ASUS boards, they're ridiculously over priced for what you're getting.

You'll have to explain this to me. I'm fairly certain that the difference between an expensive and cheap motherboard of the same chipset is usually the stability and quality of the motherboard. Some expensive motherboards will come with more features than cheap ones, but OP is building two high end computers that are well over $2200 before peripherals. At that budget, I don't see why you would skimp on the motherboard. Besides, Asus motherboards are usually top of the line quality. Both motherboard decisions are fine.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

ASUS ROG boards have almost ALWAYS been overpriced. This isn't new information. They don't improve stability, overclockability, or quality. The reality is that ASUS has become such a commanding brand that the ROG line has just become their cash cow. They aren't bad motherboards by any means, but they do not do anything better than other manufacturers yet command a premium. Need to remember motherboards will only improve your performance by a couple percent at most, and overclockability isn't particularly impacted unless you're doing LN2 cooling.They aren't top of the line quality they're just like everyone else but because they've developed a name, they command a premium. Kinda like monster cables.

OP is building ONE build between the two is what I understood.

To give you an example, the Maximus board he's chosen has 8 digital vrm phases for 200 bucks. The Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 also has 8 digital phases, has the SAME features AND gives you a SATA express over the maximus for nearly 70 bucks less.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

He's actually building one for himself, the other for his fiance.

And now that you've cleared things up, I suppose you do make some valid points about the motherboards. They've haven't made a name for themselves for no reason though, and even if it's a bit extra for a name brand, I'd still buy an ROG board.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

They are essentially the Alienware of motherboards. They look really pretty and contain the right stuff, but cost a price and a half of what they are worth.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

They made a name for themselves not necessarily because of their quality (i'm not arguing that they aren't good boards here), but because it's asus. It's a MASSIVE company with a huge marketing budget. Should come as no surprise that the same company that makes well known tablets, phones, monitors, and laptops has more money to spend on advertising then companies like ASRock (which was spun off of ASUS) or gigabyte. To put things in perspective, ASUS has a market cap of nearly 243 billion dollars, while gigabyte (the second or tied for first in terms of motherboard sales) is only 28 billion dollars, and ASrock (another very solid brand) is not even at 14 billion. Which one do you think does more sponsorships of builds and advertising?

Gigabyte boards perform JUST as well as ASUS boards for less (most of the time).

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, you still are making valid points.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube