add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Could you offer any suggestions about this build?

fredrock46
  • 71 months ago

I'm getting ready to build a new PC and have a couple questions. I'm an older guy so this will likely be my last PC and I don't want to make any stupid mistakes. Especially since it is also my first time building. I will use it for gaming, watching video and all around general purpose. I have researched the hardware a bit and I think I will start with an Intel Core i7-4790K processor and a compatible motherboard. I have a Corsair GS700 PSU, a Nvidia GeForce GTX 6600 GPU, and a WD 1TB hard drive that will suffice for now. I have just noticed that my DDR2 RAM will not be compatible so I'll need to buy DDR3 modules. Now I'm wondering if I might run into any similar conflicts I'm not aware of. Can you offer any advice about the latest hardware and things I may have easily overlooked? I have used the PC Parts Picker utility to aid me in my selections and have come up with this. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/fredrock46/saved/3hNgXL

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

For what your listing for your uses, it's a bit unnecessary. For Intel, i would advise going with a 4690K rather than a i7, because you really won't need the hyperthreading for gaming. Also, the Hero board is a nice one, but you can find a cheaper one if you are looking to save money. Since your chip is a Haswell Refresh, you should get a z97 board rather than a z87. Again, 16 Gbs is overkill for gaming. 8 Gbs will last you a long while, and getting a 2x4 gb kit at 1600/1866mhz is fine.

For AMD,if you want to consider this side due to it's similar performance and cheaper points, you can get a 8320 and overclock it to 4.00mhz(same as the 8350 and saves you ~$20). You should be able to find a mobo for ~$110-$140.

Depending on what games you want to play, consider upgrading your GPU. Maybe to a r9-270x or a gtx 760.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube