add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

~1500$ budget, can I do better?

Shale
  • 71 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vRqgFT

This is my first serious approach to a build, plan to use it for gaming, possibly streaming & editing alongside other more normal stuff. I'd rather not go over $1500 including peripherals (from the same vendor for ease of purchase), but I'm not sure how solid the build is for the price range and if there is room to improve. Additionally, I do not plan on overclocking, but would it be at all worthwhile to make the option open in the future?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $214.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $109.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $149.99 @ NCIX US
Storage PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Micro Center
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card $369.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case $94.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer H226HQLbid 60Hz 21.5" Monitor $119.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Logitech G105 Wired Gaming Keyboard $39.85 @ Amazon
Mouse Cobra E-3lue Wired Optical Mouse $11.48 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1331.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-21 23:07 EDT-0400

Better use of money if you don't plan to overclock. If you do switch cpu to a 4690k and add the 212 evo. Would also probably want to bump up the psu

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

How much higher should the PSU go? I see that PSU in the setup you provided is at 650W, would that be sufficient if I did bump up to the K & pursue overclocking? Thanks for the quick response also.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

actually i take it back it would be fine for the k series and gpu/cpu overclocking

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Well a few more dollars and you can have the option to overclock, so why not? You are buying a CM EVO, so I would buy a unlocked CPU so you can have the extra performance when needed(sometime in the future). The 4690 will handle your games fine CPU wises, but for streaming and editing, a 4790 would be better, due to the hyperthreading. Also, unless you really want the Full Tower, a mid-tower should be enough to house your system. Other than that, your build is solid. If you want a blue keyboard and mouse, you might want to look at the Cooler Master Devastator Gaming Bundle.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-keyboard-kb157106bom

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I bumped up to full tower as the cases I had picked out originally were having a few size issues, but I think in the process of swapping things out I lost that problem. Incidentally the blue KB/M went along with a previous case [NZXT Phantom, I think?] that I had selected and dropped later on, but I will certainly look into the CM package.

Edit: thanks for the fast response by you as well, was not expecting such quick feedback.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Haha, just gotta post at the right time and someone will see. Good luck on your build :).

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Guess my timing is good then. Thanks again.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube