add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Replacing Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO stock cooler fan?

TeodrosKing

67 months ago

I am thinking of replacing my Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO stock cooler fan with a Noctua NF-F12 PWM. Not for performance but for quiet, but the stock fan is actually at 2000 RPM max, so while being a bit loud my temps are in the perfect place and when I lower it, it will rise to unsafe temps. The max for the Noctua NF-F12 PWM is 1500 RPM max, does the RPM of a fan differ or reflect on performance?

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 3 points

The rpm alone is not the indicator of performance.

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

Also you could get two noctua fans for a push/pull configuration,that cooler does come with the parts for a second fan.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, that would be great but it only comes with one set of parts for a fan. Also, I unfortunately cannot find the sticky blocks used to attach the Noctua fan into the parts to mount it on the heat sink. Would just using some glue do anything?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

it comes with one extra set, you can remove the set already on fan that it came with.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup yup, the stock fan just has rubber that is adhesively taped on over the screws.

Also, RPM like Warlock said, isn't the only indicator of performance. You also have to look at the shape of the fan blades, and how many blades there are.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I set up a push-pull on my Evo. The fans don't use adhesive.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

The stock fan that I got with mine has a rubber pad that is sticky tapped or something over the screw heads on the mounting bracket.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Same here, but the OP mentioned gluing the fan to the mounting bracket, which wouldn't be necessary. I think he is confused about how the bracket attaches to the fan (via screws).

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh I see.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Strange that you think it's noisy, I think. Do you have it set to maximum performance / full rate fans or something in your BIOS? I have an i5-4670k, not overclocked, on a CM hyper 212 EVO and even running full-out prime95 the fan never speeds up enough that I can even hear the computer get any louder. It's an Asus Z87-A motherboard and the fan settings are "normal".

It is in a "quiet" case, but that can't be all of it because running Furmark you sure can hear the video card fan kick up to higher speed.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a bit loud, it's at 2000 rpm, I set it to max performance seeing that my AMD Athlon 760K has heat problems hitting 80 degrees Celcius while, or it just has a temperature sensor issue.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I would not recommend replacing the stock Hyper 212 fans with the Noctua NF-F12 PWM unless the stock fan breaks or gets damaged and you absolutely need to replace it. The stock fan on the Hyper 212 EVO is an excellent performing high rpm and high cfm fan. My numerous tests comparing the two fans show that the stock fan in the Hyper 212 EVO cools 2-3 degrees Cecilius cooler than the Noctua (The 212 EVO is a higher rpm fan pushing greater cfm). The EVO 212 fan is also a very silent fan providing you keep the fan speed on normal setting. No reason to change this fan folks, just pissing your money away. Boggles my mind why people insist on swapping this fan out.

And don't even get me started on the colors. The horrid colors of these Noctua fans make a nice case into an ugly looking case. Certainly wouldn't put them on if you have a windowed case unless you want a case that looks like someone puked inside of it.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with same for replacing my Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO stock cooler fan with a Noctua NF-F12 PWM

• 60 months ago
  • 0 points

This^^^ I've read so many great reviews about Noctua but you'll never see one in anything I ever build.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

The 212 on my Wifes you can barely hear.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube