add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$600 Intel vs $600 AMD, need help on which build gives better gaming performance.

blastedcannon
  • 71 months ago

Hello, I'm just about done my build, but I'm stuck between my AMD build or my Intel Build. It's pretty much being used entirely for heavy gaming (sometimes while internet browsing/voice chat in the background) and standalone internet browsing. I'm hoping I can achieve high+ settings in 60fps, on one 1080p monitor. Looking to make sure this is the BEST performance possible at the BEST possible price. Which build would you choose? Intel? AMD? or a completely new build? Max Budget is $600. Thanks! Intel List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/36rC4D AMD List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HqYzhM

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

I would go for the AMD build, mainly because the motherboard will allow you to Crossfire another R9 280 in the future. The difference in CPUs is there (for gaming, the FX-6300 will often be a little bit better) but in my opinion isn't as big a factor as the expandability of the motherboards.

Also, if you want to save a little bit more money you could go with this RAM:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/a-data-memory-ax3u1866w4g10dr

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

so would you recommend the AMD build, but just replace the RAM?

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah that's what I would do. And I didn't notice this before, but that PSU is pretty expensive for what it is.

You could go with this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600m

It's cheaper yet semi-modular.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

So would you say this does the trick?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep that looks good to me!

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Great!

Thanks for the help!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

each one will trade punches depending on use. Which games do you plan on playing or other intensive applications?

But in both builds (especially the intel build due to limitations), you should switch to 1.5V RAM to avoid underclocking. Also the EVGA 600B is currently $40 after rebate.

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 2 points

For RAM, look for the cheapest kit of:

• 2x4gb: preferred over a single stick for both the performance (although unnoticeable) and as a redundancy should one stick fail (although very unlikely.

• 1.5V: Intel (only if build contains a 'z'-board+'K'-CPU) and AMD does not have a problem with higher voltage but 1.5V means that it will run a bit cooler and considering it's stable at 1.5V means it likely to be overclock able using lower voltages (than what you would need with 1.65v)

• 1600+: 1333 is fine (and you are unlikely to notice) but its always nice to have faster RAM and simply because of price you can usually find faster RAM at the same price anyway. Intel has a limit of 1600 (unless the CPU and MB is overclockable), but getting faster RAM is not an issue as you can always downclock and adjust timings aggressively.

• CL: "CAS Latency", lower the better and all in proportion with frequency. Give or take 1, typical pairs are; 1600 CL9, 1866 CL10, 2133 CL11/10, 2400 CL 11. Do not chase frequency/cas latency. The performance gains are very minimal, although if there is a better kit within a $ or 2, then sure why not, but otherwise settings can be altered fairly easily.

Because prices change so frequently it's best to look at the time of buying (if a suitable kit appear below the $70 mark then it's worth getting, as its is a staple in any build). Also note that sometime its cheaper to get 2 4GB sticks separately.

LeMonarque is thinking along the same lines and has already recommended the Adata.

As for games, it depends on whether the games are highly threaded or more reliant on single threaded performance.

• Skyrim: early on it CPU-bound processes had one main thread and 2~3 secondary threads making single threaded performance more important and so the i3 would be the choice. However, there has since been updates and now performance seems much smoother. I have a 6300 and 7870GHz which plays it just fine, so now I'm not so sure.

• Far Cry 3: can use multicores well and sees nice scaling with FX chips when overclocking.

• Mantle Games: BF4, Theif, Crysis 3, Star Citizen, Civilization: Beyond Earth, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mirror's Edge 2, Sniper Elite 3, Star Wars: Battlefront. All of these are optimized for AMD hardware. The fx-6300 would be a much better choice and overclocking will take well to performance improvements.

• Source engine: EG, portal, counter strike, TitanFall, etc is not well threads and so an i3 is the better choice.

• unreal 3 engine: loads of games use this. CPU process are split between two main threads and can support up to 2 secondary threads. A relatively light engine that runs well on both CPUS but the i3 woulld be better in this stuation.

• Blizzard games: WoW requires 2 very fast cores, more cores allow for greater stability for the system as a whole but but does use more than 2 threads, opt for the i3. Starcraft ideally wants 4 fast intel cores, more is unnecessary, any less and then the choice doesn't really matter.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD build as long as you overclock it. The gigabyte motherboard you picked is better suited for long term overclocking than the cheaper option FrostPirate have suggested.

• 71 months ago
  • 0 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $108.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $64.99 @ Micro Center
Memory Kingston Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card $224.99 @ NCIX US
Case BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $34.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $50.81 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $614.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-23 10:48 EDT-0400
  • 71 months ago
  • 0 points

Just changed the Motherboard, Case and Power.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube