add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking into upgrading my current rig. Budget of 150$

kensung
  • 71 months ago

Here is my curent rig.

*Case: ThermalTake Commander

*CPU: AMD FX 4300

*Ram: 2x 4gb

*MB: MSI 760GM-P34

*Cpu Cooler: Stock Fan

*HDd: 1Tb Drive

*Graphics card: Gigabyte R9 270 windforce

*1 red led intake and 1 Red led exhaust.

Now there's two things I'm really looking for in this upgrade I want a quieter pc when gaming as currently it gets deafeningly loud(the fans) and besides that I want anything that you guys would feel is cheap and would improve the performance. My budget is around 150$

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Upgrade the proccesor to the AMD fx 8320.

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the 8320 that much better? I've seen people saying there arent many programs that take advantage of 8 cores so... But if i do end up getting it would some type of liquid cooling be necessary?

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I currently game on it but eventually it will be used for programming, video editing and possibly game design.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $79.00 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition 39.9 CFM 120mm Fan $17.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $126.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-23 12:54 EDT-0400

Put your OS and any important programs onto the SSD and use the extra fan as an intake, it is beneficial to have a slightly positive pressure in your case as it slows dust build-up. Speaking of which, cleaning your computer might help with the noise. You can get a fan with a red led if you want but I just chose this one because it was quiet. It should take some stress off of the other fans as well.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool I'll look into it. Now how much of a difference does an SSD make exactly? People like to say they are the next greatest thing but how fast are they compared to my current hdd? Windows 8.1 boots up around 10-15 seconds. I guess what I'm asking are what benefits will the ssd bring?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You seriously go from button press to desktop in 10-15 seconds on an HDD? O_O

Well, that's typically in the range of an SSD. But SSDs are about so much more than boot times. They make using your PC so much faster. Programs load extremely fast and you don't have to wait for a disk to spin up at random times like you do on an HDD.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

yea even my older dell inspiron n5010 loads windows 8.1 in around 25 seconds.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You can take a look at this video and this one, they do a pretty good job.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd get an SSD and some quiet fans. The SSD will do wonders to make your PC feel fast, and the fans will help you keep your sanity.

SSD for speed: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7te120bw

SSD for capacity (and still good speed): https://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct256mx100ssd1

Some quiet case fans: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfs12bredux1200

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/cougar-case-fan-cft12sb4

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-fan-co9050002ww

I wouldn't have gone with an FX-4300 for your initial build. I'd have gone with at least an FX-6300. However, upgrading to an FX-6300 now would be pretty incremental. I would wait until you can afford an FX-8350/8320 upgrade, wait until a new comparable AMD CPU, or move to Intel.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually bought a cyberpower pc second hand that had the parts listed minus the r9 270 for around 350 via craigslist. The computer itself was new and rarely used the guy ended up not liking it for whatever reason. So that's why I have the 4300. The only problem I have with upgrading to the fx 83 is simply that not many things can really take advantage of 8 cores so I'm just going to wait until probably holiday season and see if i can get some good deals. I'll look into the fans though. I'm pretty sure the loudest is the stock cpu cooler though.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh my bad, I didn't realize you had the stock cooler on. In that case I'd get a Hyper 212 EVO as well

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

another person recommended that cpu cooler. I'm guessing that is the best cpu cooler/option

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

As I'm looking at options can anyone comment on liquid cooling and if it's effective or worth it in general? (I know a lot of people with my case complain that the radiator either barely fits or doesn't fit at all.)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Liquid cooling is not worth it until you have the $70-80 needed to buy a thick 120mm or thin 140mm cooler.

The cheap thin 120mm coolers are expensive due to the base costs of manufacturing radiators, tubing, coolant, pumps, water blocks, clamps, ICs, and stock fans. They perform like $30-$40 heatsinks.

That's without considering what it is you're cooling. I would not cool an FX-4300 (or even an FX-6300) with an all-in-one liquid cooler. Isn't worth it in my opinion.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright that makes sense so ill get the evo 212 for a cpu cooler, I'll look around and try to get the ssd(Going to try to get it a little cheaper) and if possible could you recommend some good quiet red led fans? If not red any color works.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I've heard good things about this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/bitfenix-case-fan-bfflpro12025rrp

I'd avoid the Corsair 120mm LED fans as they all use sleeve bearings (unlike their normal counterparts) and are pretty loud at higher RPM (exactly like their Performance Edition counterparts).

• 71 months ago
  • 0 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Nepton 140XL 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $94.99 @ TigerDirect
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $94.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-24 02:46 EDT-0400

CPU fan is your noise offender. For the 4300, the low setting on this will be plenty.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube