add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Top 4 A/V Showdown! + Best combo of A/V protection?

AtomicNarb

65 months ago

Hi guys. Today, as the title states. We will be reviewing the top 4 best free anti-virus programs. And the results will be based on all of your opinions! Okay lets start. Here are the top 4 anti-virus programs, I won't be naming them in number order since I haven't tried all of them. Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, and finally AVG. So, based on all of your opinions, I will decide on which anti-virus program is currently the best, (based on everyones opinion that's here). Personally in my opinion, I'm in a bit of a tie between Avast and Malwarebytes. One question I have. Which combination of anti-virus should I get that won't slow my pc down? So far, I've seen most people say Avast and Malwarebytes, but is that true? Don't forget to leave better anti-virus programs or combinations if you know any, it can often help newcomers out a lot.

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Don't use AVG, the loggingserver.exe hogs ALL of your bandwidth for a good hour and a half as it checks for updates every 24 hours. Then when you uninstall AVG, a ton of junk is left behind, including the loggingserver.exe. My computer still isn't clean after having that monster on it.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I use both malwarebytes and avast and I never had any issues virus related. To be honest as long as you are careful you don't have to have one. But if you really need one I suggest the setup mentioned above.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Do they hog up your system a lot? Like does it slow down your computer? Cause I also stated in my topic, that I needed a combo that doesn't hog up my systems performance.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Of course they will slow down your system, but its by such a very, very, very, very small amount that even I still haven't noticed it.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Who is we?

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Microsoft security essentials is the one i think I have on my laptop. No viruses so far, and that laptop is from about 2008 :D

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

1st line of defense: common sense

2nd: avast

and if I suspect anything slipped past, I occasionally run mbam

I don't at all notice a slowdown (at least, not nearly as much as norton) and so far I haven't had any issues.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

MSE is pretty much accepted as being the "lightest weight" on the hardware/software system. Since it's the second line of defense as TheWalkingGeek said, I use MSE. It's also convenient because it's more or less entirely hands-off and produces very few false positives.

But it looks like its protection might be lacking somewhat upon review of some third party sites - and it may or may not be the best for performance either. Arrr, I will need to reconsider soon.

This article shows where to find third party analysis of AV performance in a depth that we'd never be able to duplicate: http://www.howtogeek.com/129624/4-places-to-find-up-to-date-antivirus-test-results-online-2/ So, given that, why is anyone on PCP going to review AV again? Really?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube