add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Please help me make some decisions!

Xentrig
  • 71 months ago

Hello all!

I'm a bit new here, having just discovered this site this year, and so far I'm really loving virtually putting a pc together before I order it. However, this has also caused me to flip flop components around almost 3 times a day and it's starting to drive me nuts.

I'm interested in building a pc for gaming that fits around a 1k budget. Few hundred more won't kill me but I'd really like to keep it at that, and a bit under would be even better. I understand that prices fluctuate daily, so I'm not really going to start asking questions about that. I'm mostly concerned with choosing the right components for what I want to do, and not breaking the bank for things that aren't truly necessary.

Basically, I enjoy gaming on pretty high settings. I don't mind turning a few down here or there, but for the most part graphics are a large part of the immersion for me, and that is a very large part of why I game. I don't do any rendering, and only a little photoshop work, if that helps. But I do like things to happen fast!

Currently I have this put together - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kzwJgs

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $279.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $49.99 @ NCIX US
Thermal Compound Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste $6.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $115.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $80.10 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $79.00 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II Video Card $308.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1131.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-24 01:08 EDT-0400

I'm trying to decide on a few things.. Most notably, the processor, and the video card. I want something that plays current games without a problem, but because of children and other budget killers, I'd like something that's going to last a bit. My current PC I put together in 2010, and I am just now turning graphics down in order to be able to play games. I know nobody can tell the future, but I'd like to future proof a little :).

Any advice at all is good advice, so if there are any tweaks you would recommend to my build, please let me know!

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 3 points
  • i7 not necessary for gaming system.
  • Liquid cooling not mandatory.
  • MX-4 not necessary due to above.
  • Consider another power supply.

Good luck.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The longer this sits in my browser, the more I'm starting to guess that's correct on the I7. I guess I was mostly looking at something that will last me a bit. I'm guessing the I5 4690k is probably a better choice then? Could use that cash towards other things definitely.

I'm a stickler for heat, and I'd like to OC a little. The liquid cooling that I chose sort of fits the bill for a cheaper way to get better performance.

The power supply thing is part of what's been driving me crazy. I'm pretty sure I want something modular in order to cut down on extra cables, and the whole bronze/gold/etc is new to me since the last time I put one together and I'm really at a loss there. Anything you could recommend?

Edit- Forgot to say, thank you for the response!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube