add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is power supply the problem?

Zalifon
  • 69 months ago

My pc parts:

• ASRock Z97 Extreme4 motherboard

• 2 x 4GB Dual channel G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3

• ASUS GTX 770

• Intel I7 4790K

• Phantom 820 case with a tonne of fans and LED Lighting

• 3tb 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda

• 240mb SSDNOW Kingston SSD

I'm not entirely sure what the term posting means, is it the LEDs at the bottom of the motherboard showing numbers and letters? I have no chassis speaker so i cant hear beeps. My definition of posting is the glow of LEDs on the motherboard showing me 2 number/letter codes.

So far there are three ways my pc works

• It turns on regularly, and functions normally, usually after a long wait after turning off the power (uncommon)

• It turns on, then suddenly loses power as all the fans turn off for 3-8 seconds. Then it posts either successfully or unsuccessfully.

• The LED and fans all turn on and it doesn't post at all until i turn off all power and wait 15 or so minutes

The PSU i have is an Antec Earthwatts 650W 80+ Platinum power supply. I am worried that it doesnt provide sufficient power for my setup. When i press the power button, the motherboard doesnt post, however the fans still work and the case LED still turns on. The motherboard is mounted correctly. I checked the CPU for bent pins and it doesnt have any. Is this a motherboard or power supply issue? Thank you

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

My guess is it is the power supply. Though 650 watts should be plenty of power for your setup. That particular PSU has 4 12 Volt rails that split that 650 watts 4 ways, or 162.5 watts per rail. And since the video card requires more than 162 watts it triggers an overload and shutdown. My suggestion is to return it and get a PSU with a single 12 volt rail. It's a common problem, with low power setups multiple rails can be a good thing, unfortunately the rails don't compensate for the power draw on the other rails in high power draw applications.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not entirely sure what the term posting means...

Computer Hope: What is POST?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube