add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which Build Is Best??

Banjerly
  • 71 months ago

Hey guys, i have come up with two builds. Which one is best for gaming performance?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £258.94 @ More Computers
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £24.25 @ Scan.co.uk
Motherboard ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £79.84 @ More Computers
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £61.74 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £87.45 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £38.70 @ Aria PC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tri-X Video Card £389.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case £87.13 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply *Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £65.40 @ Aria PC
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer £11.74 @ CCL Computers
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £1104.78
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-25 22:53 BST+0100

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £158.34 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £24.25 @ Scan.co.uk
Motherboard MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £88.76 @ Scan.co.uk
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £61.74 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £85.34 @ Scan.co.uk
Storage Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £32.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way SLI) £238.49 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way SLI) £238.49 @ Amazon UK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case £87.13 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £80.90 @ Amazon UK
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer £11.74 @ CCL Computers
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £1108.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-25 22:54 BST+0100

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

It might vary depending on the game.

In most cases, I think the SLI'd 770s will be fastest, but if there's no SLI profile for a particular game, you're down to 1 770, which will get beaten by the 290X.

Generally, it's always preferable to go with a single GPU setup, merely for the simplicity of it. Dual card configs are able to squeeze out more performance though.

i7 vs i5 makes very little different when gaming. Very few games are able to properly utilise the 8 threads of the i7, so the i5 will perform at the same levels there.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the information.

So there are pros and cons to either build i see.

So the budget Build should probably contain the r9 and the i5 for top performance at a low cost.

And the SLI 770's and the i7 combined would be more future proof at a higher cost?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You could put it that way - although I'd see a single 290X as more future proof, since you could add in another 290X later if you feel you're running out of performance :-) You'd just need a PSU big enough to handle it - which in this case would probably mean somewhere around 900W or more.

Can I ask why you'd need a system this powerful? If you're running games in a very high resolution, the 290X might actually be better than the 2 770s, as it has twice the amount of video RAM available. Even though each card in the SLI setup has 2GB, they're not split across the boards in practice - the information is stored as duplicates on the two cards. So in effect, you have a card with 2 GTX 770 GPUs, but only 2 GB of VRAM.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry i should of stated more information, i will be running the games in 1080p so high resolution is not a problem unless i upgrade to a better monitor in the future. I will be possibly be using C4D, Photoshop, Ableton, After effects, but i might be getting a iMac for those things as i currently have one thats broke to claim on insurance. I think you have persuaded me with the 290x though. I cant decide with the CPU, the i7 would be nicer for multi-tasking but its setting me back 100 pounds from the i5, 100 pounds that could be put towards a nicer monitor. Plus if i get the iMac i will only need the PC for gaming only. How long till games utilise the i7 fully do you reckon?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow - a 290X or 2x 770 in SLI is a huge overkill for 1080p gaming! :-) If I were you, I'd save some money here - it's much better spent elsewhere.

What games are you planning on playing and what frame rates are you hoping for? That will give you an easier starting point for component selection. Of course you want to future proof things - that makes perfect sense - but at the end of the day, it makes more sense to get something that's good now - and then get something new in 2-3 years. The idea of being able to future proof yourself for the next 5-6 years to come is not going to work - there's too much innovation in this field for that.

Based on Anandtech GPU Bench (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU14/815) I think you could get a Geforce GTX 780 or above or a Radeon R9 290 or above and be perfectly happy with running anything maxed out in 1080p averaging over 60FPS. Obviously, getting a 290X or a 780Ti is nice, but it is a bit overkill for this resolution.

If you are only going to use this PC for gaming, then don't get the i7 - it's a waste of money at this point in time. I sincerely doubt that you will be feeling the difference in the next years to come - after all, PC games are made to work for the majority of users - and the majority of users have dual or quad core CPUs. Not 8-threaded ones like the i7 :-)

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube