add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Im looking for the best gaming board to pair with I5 4690k

nickypinky
  • 71 months ago

I'v been trying to figure out the best combo on newegg with a Z97 motherboard and I5-4690k. Problem is, there are so many combos for so many brands and similar models, I really don't know what's best. While I'm sure any of them will be fine, I'd like to get the best bang for buck, as anyone else would. As is, with a gtx 760, i have no plan to over-clock just yet, but I'm sure I will want to or even add a second GPU. I had my eyes on the MSI gaming 5 at a combo price around $393. I would really appreciate any help on this.

Heres a link for all the I5-4690k combos on newegg.ca http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductCombos.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372&SubCategory=343&fromcs=0&bcmTag=0&SortField=0&PageSize=100&Page=1

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

bump. I still can not decide between the MSI G-45 or Gaming-5. I don't see a difference. Or the ASUS Z97-A

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend the Asus Z97-A. I was in the same position as you for the same CPU. The Z97-A is a great board. But the gaming-5 looks sexy so nothing wrong in choosing it.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The best isn't really relevant here. The best is a fairly broad concept. For you and most of us the board you want is the one that offers the connections you want for the best price.

Regarding your having no plans to overclock at this time. If you think you ever will then get a Z. If you haven't got a desire to overclock then get an H so long as it meets your port requirements.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

All 3 of those are the best for someone. Those are 3 of the best models for most people's budgets and any one is superb. Compare little things like odd features and grab whatever you think does more and looks best

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend the Asus Z97 I have had it and it is a great motherboard.

• 71 months ago
  • 0 points

Whatever is cheap and has colors you like. Motherboards only impact performance by 2% ish MAX. They'll all get the same overclocks as well (though some may require MARGINALLY more voltage to maintain stability).

• 71 months ago
  • 3 points

Wrong. There's lots of differences that impact the total system, and they don't all oc the same. Some get far better results. At this price range though, it comes down to features.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That's mostly bunk. To put things in perspective:

Check any recent z97 motherboard roundup, you'll see they even say the performance differences between them are negligible at best. And not a single z97 motherboard roundup (or z87) that I found with a quick google search showed any board overclocking any less than any other board. Though as I said earlier some did need slightly higher voltages, though not large amounts. NONE got FAR better results over other boards.

for a few examples:

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-z97-motherboard-roundup-with-asus-biostar-gigabyte-msi_142668

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5385/45/19-intel-z97-chipset-motherboards-review-testing-the-new-generation-benchmarks-3dmark

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2014/05/11/z97-motherboard-group-tests/9

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is an example of what I mean using z87. You'll notice that mostly the boards are very very similar, but some really pull away from the rest or under perform compared to the others. There's much more than just the up front specs here... Little things like component choices in the boards design play in, sometimes in huge ways. http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/MSI/Z87_MPOWER_MAX/13.html

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking at this review, that doesn't actually appear to be the case. This difference was due to the memory used. They specifically state:

"Memory speeds vary depending on the platform's ability" what they don't state, however, is how high the overclocked the memory in each scenario (that I see at least), which makes me wonder how it managed to overclock memory to the point where it had this big a boost and the others didn't. Regardless this only shows in one synthetic memory benchmark for some reason one board pulled away. Every other benchmark on this review and every other review I've seen (including other reviews of this board) put them all being within a few percent of each other.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube