add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

College work/gaming rig

Dan_Roman47
  • 71 months ago

This build is put together mainly to play First Person Shooters and simulators i.e. BF4 and Arma 3 as well as being great for college papers/projects. I need this build to be quite, fast, fully upgrade-able, and have the ability to water-cool in the future (probably one dual-120mm fan rad and one single-120mm rad). Please note the GPU is only meant to hold me over till I get enough money for a gtx 780/ti. I will be doing some average overclocks on the CPU as well as the GPU. I also decided on going with a black and red colour scheme. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I was considering going AMD, but I really like some of the features Nivida has though If I am given enough reasons I will switch to AMD. If you have any questions let me Know and I will answer them as soon as I can. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cqKmmG

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Questions:

I will be doing some average overclocks on the CPU as well as the GPU.

A) Why OC the CPU on a gaming/general use rig? An i5-4670 non-k won't come close to bottlenecking a 780 Ti so there will be almost zero performance difference.

B) What NVidia features do you need?

Suggestions:

Many of your secondary components, namely your motherboard, RAM, CPU cooler, and CPU, are too expensive:

1) Name-brand motherboards with all-solid capacitors and most of the quality components from this article cost as little as $75.

2) RAM over 1600MHz won't add more frames with a discrete graphics card.

3) OCing the CPU rarely helps these days. For example, see how a Q2 2012 i5-3570k performs at various overclock levels in Battlefield 4 at 2560x1600.

4) The stock cooler is fine since overclocking the CPU barely helps for gaming. It won't give you an extra 2.5 year GPU upgrade cycle so it's better to spend your money elsewhere or save it for a future upgrade.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Its more because I can, I realize I don't have to. I like the Nvidia control panel that allows me to tell the GPU how to render things. That's actually it. That's why I'm not sure which one to go with.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You can't afford to OC the CPU: The additional money you're spending on the CPU, CPU cooler, OCable mobo, and other secondary components is stopping you from buying a good graphics card now. Which in turn is causing you to blow $170 till you can save up for the 780.

The r9 290x performs as good or slightly better than the 780 Ti. A build using the r9 290x or 780 non-Ti costs only $210 more than your build with a GTX 660.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $179.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $79.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $77.99 @ Micro Center
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $50.40 @ Amazon
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card $517.06 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $59.98 @ OutletPC
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $94.98 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1150.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-26 20:40 EDT-0400

Primary components:

Graphics card: The r9 290x is equal to/slightly better than the GTX 780 Ti and much cheaper. Can be substituted with a 780 if you really want NVidia.

Power supply: SeaSonic PSU's are very reliable and 650W is more than enough.

Secondary components:

CPU: It will last a couple* 2.5 year graphics card upgrades before it starts bottlenecking the graphics card.

RAM: Name brand, cheap, CAS 9, 1600 MHz, 1.5V. No ridiculously tall heat sink. RAM is RAM.

Motherboard: All solid capacitors and name brand. Has most if not all of the quality components listed in the article in my earlier post. Any similar board by MSI, Gigabyte, etc. would be fine too.

* Probably 2 upgrades, not 3, but an overclocked Intel wouldn't get you 3 either. Though the r9 290x should last a lot longer than two and a half years. :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, Ill look into it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube