add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Just ordered this $2500 build. Give me your thoughts.

bloomchild
  • 71 months ago

Parts List

This is my first build. I feel like I did a decent job with my budget. I'll be showing the completed build sometime next week.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If I'm being honest about it here's my thoughts:

Would not have chosen that motherboard, you could have gotten an equally good motherboard for cheaper and bought a separate wifi card if you needed it.

2400mhz memory and 16gb? Are you running a lot of vms? Otherwise kinda excessive

Would not have gone with a 780TI personally. You could have got nearly 2 290s for that budget that would handily outperform the 780TI.

Besides that it looks pretty gravy to me.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your honest critiques.

Honestly I struggled with the GPU decision. I researched the 1 card vs 2 argument. The general consensus was that one higher end card is better and easier to manage than two. Plus, I plan on buying another 780Ti next month to SLI (speaking of which, do you think I will need to upgrade the PSU for that?)

As far as the memory goes, the budget was there (and it was money I couldn't use for anything else) so I figured why not?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Then I'd certainly buy 2 290x or 2 290 over 2 780TIs. A 1000w psu would be fine for any of those options in dual card.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Not that I'm doubting your wisdom, but could you perhaps clarify why you would choose those over two 780Ti's? From what I have read, the 780Ti outperforms both of those cards, runs at a cooler temp, and by all accounts SLI is more stable than Crossfire.

Like I said, not knocking the free advice, just curious and hoping to educate myself :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

SLI is not more stable than crossfire. That's an old belief that held true with the 7xxx series of AMD gpus, not the newer gen. 780TIs are grossly overpriced to the performance they offer (something like 5-7% more performance than a 290x for 200ish more). 780TIs also don't run any cooler. This misconception comes from the absolute garbage cooler than the 290/290x came with. The powercolor PCS+ for instance on AMD's side is cooler than any 780/780TI on the market in the US.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube