add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

OS Installation Process?

Demosthenes
  • 71 months ago

So, I've been saving up to build a computer for a while now. I've picked out my parts, and I plan on running Windows 8.1 Pro.

However, I'm a bit fuzzy as to how the installation process works on a newly built computer with no prior OS installed. Could some one explain? The key I am buying comes with a download.

Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points
  1. Download the iso
  2. Use this(or similar) program to create a bootable DVD or USB http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool
  3. Insert DVD/USB into the new pc
  4. Start the new pc and press F8(for Asus, I think) to enter the boot menu
  5. Select whatever drive your win 8 is on
  6. Follow the steps.

Once you do it you'll see its not hard at all:)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I was wondering the same thing. And how do you know yours comes with a download?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That subreddit is not allowed on our site. The keys are being illegally resold and break Microsoft ToS.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Could the question still be answered?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Of course. However, linking/endorsing of subreddits and/or sites that advocate piracy is not allowed here.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I was unaware that it was illegal. My apologies.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

With a new build, it will automagically partition the drives. You simply boot into the winpe and follow along the simple steps. I have found that sometimes it can try to reboot into the usb/optical disc after a restart, so you'll need to override that if you encounter that and boot to the hdd- which, will continue finishing the installation process.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not entirely sure I understood that, but I'm sure it'll make sense once I actually have my Windows copy. Thanks!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Good luck!

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

basically you will have to go in the BIOS and select the drive you installed windows on once you're done, the same way you selected the USB you install the OS off of.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube