add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

~$1000 gaming rig, primarily for Planetside 2

Beersatron
  • 71 months ago

Planetside 2 is optimized for nvidia and from my research the GTX 760 will work well when paired with an i5 so I have came up with this.

I could possibly increase the GPU to a 770 but not sure I can push the cost to the 780 level and it is my understanding that a 780 needs an i7 to really shine?

I will not be overclocking which is why I am not using the 4690K and am using the H97 instead of Z97.

Opinions welcome :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $214.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $83.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $129.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 760 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $289.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $84.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $997.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-27 17:17 EDT-0400

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd recommend getting a gold rated PSU, although the Corsair CX will work if not.

A gtx780 doesn't need an i7 to shine, most games don't take advantage of hyperthreading, so i7s hardly make any difference to gaming performance.

There is almost no performance difference between the 4gb and 2gb gtx760, it's not worth the money. Personally I would spend a $25 extra and get a gtx770: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp42776kr

I use a gtx770 and 4670k and planetside 2 runs great on max settings.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I think I will take your advice and go with the 770.

I am also going to go with a Cooler Master case instead of the Thermaltake https://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-sgc1000kwn1

Hopefully I can get ordering all the parts today or tomorrow!

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything came within 2 days and I got it put together in one go.

Had a little issue with one of the plastic prongs on the stock CPU cooler which required tweezers and pliers to fix. Also, Win7 got lost in transit because Amazon packed it with the case in a massive box that wasn't sealed correctly but I had an older copy that I used since I do not need to verify the key for 30 days - amazon are sending a replacement.

Thanks for the help!

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not DIY unless things are going wrong. Glad I could help with the parts.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube