add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for any and all opinions/criticism for my next build.

NaturalCarr
  • 71 months ago

Hey everyone, so I'm building a new rig soon and I just want to run the parts list by you guys to see what you think of it. One thing to keep not of is that I'm actually getting the Thermaltake Lv 10 GT Case, not the LV 10 GT Snow Edition, the regular LV 10 GT is Red/Black and cheaper. Oh, and the 2 extra case fans are for a Push/Pull Config on the H100i.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Thing The Thingy The Thingy's Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $149.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $129.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $88.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $79.99 @ Best Buy
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card $187.97 @ OutletPC
Case Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition ATX Full Tower Case $159.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Rosewill Hyperborea 57.5 CFM 120mm Fan $6.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Rosewill Hyperborea 57.5 CFM 120mm Fan $6.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1043.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-27 20:59 EDT-0400

Also, I don't include the mail-in rebates in my list prices, just so i have a little pleasant surprise at the end of a build.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

that processor is very famous. 2tb. you sure about that. that graphics card can be better.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I would've gone with the 8 Core 4ghz CPU but I couldn't resist the newegg combo.

What's wrong with a 2tb HDD.

And yeah, I was thinking about changing my CPU to get a better GPU, but Idk yet.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I was also thinking of getting a NXZT Kraken instead of a Corsair H100i

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

nah the h100i is fine and like 2 tb is 80 bucks like do you really need that. you can like just get a 3 tb for like 10 bucks more i think

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I can get a 3tb for like 90$ but it would be 5400rpm, I want to keep my drives to 7200 minimum, so the cheapest 7200 rpm 3tb HDD is $100

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

so that's 20 dollars more for 1 whole TB. which is pretty fantastic.

but then again, if you don't think you'll use that much then don't bother. 3TBs for 100 bucks is a steal though. Considering the prices of 1TB drives.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

k

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I would get a cheaper midtower case. 160 bucks on a case is a good deal of money on a build in this budget range, and you certainly don't need a fulltower for these components. By doing so you could easily upgrade to a 280 or 280x on the gpu side.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I was kinda thinking the same thing (well, not about the 280, just about a smaller case). It's just that, to me, so many of the Mid Tower cases are lack luster. I really like the aesthetics of the Original Level 10 and the Level 10 GTS, and more than that, functionality creates its own attraction, and this case has a lot of useful features.

That being said, do you have any suggestions for a Mid-Tower case?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

h440, 450d, spec 02, r4, enthoo pro (or whatever that 100 one is called), air 540, thermaltake urban series off the top of my head

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube