add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Using a 4-pin Y fan splitter with a Maximus Vi Gene

Ghostwalker
  • 71 months ago

Hi. My Corsair 350D has 5 fan slots, and my mobo has 3 + CPU_FAN + CPU_OPT (this one is basically useless).

The CPU_FAN powers my uncontrollable H110 pump, so that's set in stone.

With one fan header I control the rear exhaust fan, and with the other 2 fan headers I want to control 4 more fans: with one header the 2 front fans and with the last header the 2 radiator fans.

Using a 4-pin Y splitter would the fans running on 1 header run at full speed? Or will they... struggle? I know they won't be individually controllable, but I'm fine with that. I need to control them in pairs.

Thanks!

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If you use a Y splitter they do run near full speed. However if you have fans that run at high rpm like 2000rpm like stock rad fans they normally won't run at full speed. Also since you do have a rad you should use a Y-splitter on the OPT-Header. That header is for a second CPU fan. For example if you had a CM-Evo and were running a fan on each side, you could run both fans at the same speed.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU_OPT header cannot be controlled by Asus AI Suite.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure on how it works on an Asus board but it normally follows the CPU fan header.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

It could, but the CPU_FAN is where the H110 pump is plugged in, and the pump can't be controlled, it's 100% all the time. I think it'll go ok in CHA_FAN2 and 3 with the splitter. The fans are Corsair AF140, they run at 1100 RPM max I think. Not ideal on a rad, but Corsair doesn't have SP140mm fans (yet. They may repease them this year, then the AF140s will go in front, where the stock H110 fans will be relocated.)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's what I think you should do. Run the rad fans on the CPU header on splitter. Run the pump on the OPT header.

For the most part, unless you do heavy CPU work it won't do any harm to wait until Corsair comes out with SP140s, but who knows when we will see them in stores.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a Asus VI Formula, CPU fan controls CPU_OPT fans in AI Suite. The only real PWM headers are the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT, all the other 4 pin headers are current controlled. My LED fans that are connected to the 4 pin CHA headers have pulsing leds, because the current keeps changing. At least I think that's why the LED's keep changing brightness. The ones connected to the cpu are full brightness regardless of fan speed.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube