add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Total newb who has lost the last 3 days on amazon needs your help! Is this rig any good?

Mitre_mouldmaster
  • 71 months ago

Hi All,

Have went from absolutely zero computer building knowledge last week, to the stage where my head is bursting!

Came up with the below set up and think it will be pretty okay, would appreciate anyone's help who can say if I have anything stupid in the build.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Mitre_mouldmaster/saved/xWFKHx#cx475090

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor £117.45 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard £50.95 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £63.49 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £56.56
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £39.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card £159.48
Case Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case £45.81 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £68.98
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) £0.00
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans £13.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £615.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-28 12:25 BST+0100

Mitre

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Looks good to me, not a big fan of the looks of that case but hey w/e floats your boat. I did manage to find some lower cost parts at a lower price for the same performance. Here you go!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor £117.45 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard £50.95 @ Amazon UK
Memory Kingston Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £58.18 @ Amazon UK
Storage Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £49.98 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £39.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card £159.48
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case £36.87 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £51.48 @ Amazon UK
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) £0.00
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans £13.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £577.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-28 12:54 BST+0100
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

This is an awesome revision, but I wouldn't get that Sandisk if I were you, I've had one and they aren't all that reliable, the Samsung is worth the money as far as SSDs go.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you just got unlucky man sometimes drives just die, doesn't matter if it's samsung or anything else...

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

All the reviews I can find on that Sandisk are scattered with people saying the same thing. I should've checked before i bought mine, but I just looked at the price. For most people they've been unreliable.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

70 people on amazon gave it 5 stars. 4 gave it 1. That's a 95% 5 star rating. Couldn't find anyone who gave it less than 4 on scanco. ebuyer.com had the same results... I don't know where you're seeing these bad reviews man. I'm not trying to falsify your claims and I know yours blew up, but I can't see the justification for calling it a bad drive.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Cheers rchard, you persuaded me on the SSD and the RAM.

Stuck with my big ugly case though!

Cant wait to get building now!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much for spending the time to go through this!

Good revisions!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi All,

First build and I would appreciate your input. Idea is to make a decent gaming rig, a fair bit better than the next gen consoles. Want it to be able to play say 3 years worth of gaming, the current games (Titanfall, BF4 etc) on High / Ultra at 1080p, future games to play at lower settings if required. I have no experience of overclocking, so plan to run the system as stock to begin with. Later down the line I will get a new CPU cooler and overclock if required.

Processor - Probably dont need any more than the FX 6300, but just feel an upgrade here for £40 might future proof me a bit.

Motherboard - It seems to have all the features i need and is a decent price. This board a problem at all?

Memory - Cheapish 8gb 1600 memory. Bit worried with the size of the things at the top (heatsinks?). This likely to get in the way of anything?

Storage - 120GB SSD for OS, 1TB for actual games and apps.

Video Card - Is actually an R9 280 from Sapphire, but couldnt find that on the list. At £160 I thought it might be a bit better than the similarly priced 270x cards that are about. Willing to be corrected though. There is a 270x 4GB version available, but im not really planning to run multi monitor.

Case - Seems big enough for a beginner to work inside and has cool red lights (cool being subjective). Oh and its got decent build quality according to the reviews and is cheapish.

Power Supply - Went up to 750w prob dont need it, but would rather have too much than not enough.

Windows 7 - Gonna recycle a copy, so no cost.

Fans - Added a couple more fans cause im wanna keep everything cool.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a couple of criticisms:

I wouldn't be keen on pairing a 125W 8-core on an mATX AM3+ board with the intention of gaming. I fear for its longevity.

I would get a more reliable PSU such as the XFX 550 (if not overclocking anything), XFX 650 or FSP Raider 650W to comfortably overclock everything and support high-end GPU upgrades.

Any reason this build is solely form Amazon? perhaps to take advantage of Flubit?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks ironviking.

Do you have a recommendation on a differnt motherboard which would be more suitable?

Reason for amazon is that im lazy, not really worried about saving the odd £ here or there and I ahve prime so can get it tomorrow if I order today!!!!!!!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Cheapest I'd go with:

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Cheers mate, have switched up to the ASUS

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube