add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build, will this all work together?

ArchiPC27
  • 71 months ago

I am building a pc from the ground up and I have zero experience doing so. The pc will be used primarily for 3d modeling/rendering, photoshop work and graphics type work (autocad). I have a friend who is really good with computers who is my backup should i run into issues during my build. My questions are:

1. Will these components work together?
  2. Is there any particular piece of the selected hardware that I can downsize or go cheaper on with out a major impact on performance for my needs?
  3. I was planning on using an old optical drive and also adding an old hard drive as a backup/extra storage. They are from an old Dell desktop that ran windows vista. Will they work with the new build?
  4. I am installing windows 7 because I have Adobe Creative suite 3 and have read that it does not work well with windows 8. Will it work with the new hardware? Or should I just get windows 8? I would rather not have to purchase the newer adobe software considering how expensive it is and my current older version CS3 still suits my needs just fine.
  5. Am i forgetting any crucial parts?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LgHyt6 Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LgHyt6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Newegg) Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($169.99 @ NCIX US) Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($174.98 @ NCIX US) Storage: Western Digital WD VelociRaptor 500GB 2.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ NCIX US) Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($124.99 @ NCIX US) Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($106.99 @ Amazon) Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC) Total: $1106.91 Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-28 13:03 EDT-0400

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

1: Where is your power supply? 2: For the price you are paying for that hdd, you could get a 250gb ssd that will be much faster and reliable. 3: Do you really need a dedicated gpu?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The power supply I must have forgot to list, but I was going to go with the EVGA Super Nova 750 G2. As far as the dedicated GPU, yes I believe that I need it for the type of work I will be doing.

As far as the hdd, it was recommended that I go with the Western Digital velociraptor with 1TB by my computer savy friend but I thought it was too expensive so i figured a few steps below at the 500GB version would be a good hdd. I am looking to trim the overall cost of the build though as I will still need to buy a monitor as well and my original budget was 1000.

Ideas of where I can cut cost without impacting performance in a major way?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I really would go with a 250gb ssd over the hdd, since you said you have another hdd for storage and backup. The samsung version is only $130 right now. The only other area I could see saving a bit on is the case.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, since you have the locked version of the 4770, I assume you will not be overclocking? If that is the case, you can save about $45 by getting this cpu: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646e31230v3 I know you said you are dead set on the cpu, but this one is literally the EXACT same one, but without integrated graphics, which you don't need anyway because you have a dedicated gpu.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

so would this processor work with my other components?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117316 (same as the link you sent but newegg said it had a newer version for the same $)

I am confused as to what this particular one being a server cpu means, will it perform any differently than the 4770/desktop cpus?

I could care less about overclocking, i went with the 4770 because it is recommended for the software i render with.

Most importantly,this other cpu,is it compatible with my rendering software, artlantis 5.0?

Sorry for the noob questions, this is mostly foreign stuff to me.

I think i am going to go cheaper on the case, and the ssd sounds like it may be a good idea as well.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes it will, nice catch! They call it a server cpu because it is optimized to use less power. Less power = less heat, less heat = longer lifespan. It will not perform any differently, simply because it is the same as a 4770, it just doesn't have integrated graphics, and it's cheaper. Yes, it will work with Artlantis. Don't worry about asking "noob" questions; we were all noobs at one point.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I am ok with going with different parts, the only thing I am really dead set on is the processor

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube