add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Linux based OS or Windows OS for new PC?

bradblah
  • 71 months ago

I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a Linux based OS like Zorin or Windows (probably 8.1) for my new PC.

I'm not a big gamer but I would need to run programs like Adobe Suite, Toon Boom Harmony and Maya for work stuff.

Zorin comes with WINE built in which is supposed to allow me to run most Windows based software.

Basically I want to know if I can cut the Windows cord completely and go with something like Zorin or if I should still buy Windows and then have a dual-boot for Linux. That way I can use Windows for my work stuff and Linux for everything else.

Discuss away.

Also, I'm not super computer savvy when it comes to coding and whatnot if that makes a difference at all.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

why don't you just get windows 7. and linux.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

No reason in particular. I recently put Linux Mint on my couch laptop and it seems to be working well so I just wanted to explore my Linux options.

As for Windows 7, I'm honestly bouncing back and forth between 7 and 8.1. I just happened to be leaning towards 8.1 at the time I posted this. They are the same price right now and through all my research 8.1 seems better in a lot of ways expect for the UI. I was tempted to post a Windows 7 vs 8.1 thread but there's already so many of them I figured it wouldn't really benefit me and probably annoy you guys.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

For "work stuff" suggest you thoroughly test with WINE before committing.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Dual Boot all you got to do is partion the Hard Drive for booting to Linux and Windows

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

There are substitutes for all the pieces of the adobe suite in *nix (eg. gimp, inkscape, etc. )

Not familiar with toon boom thingy. something to do with animation I assume? I'm sure there's something out there.

blender I think should work for 3d stuff.

best of all these are all free.

if you aren't playing games, go with linux.

When you partition the drive separate the OS from the data. This way, if you want to dual boot you can leave your *nix install as is and use up some of the data partition for the windows install and dual boot

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

On that same note, I have to say that I prefer to have grub as the bootloader and the easiest dual+ boot setup would be to install windows first and the *nix flavor last (letting grub takeover )

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube