add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$1000 AMD Build with Upgrade Potential(I think)

TheRanch
  • 70 months ago

Hey all. I created another build for around $1000 that I plan on overclocking with. I think investing in a solid motherboard as well as a higher power supply with make it easier for me to upgrade in the future, but I really don't know enough about computers to justify what I am saying at all. So if anyone could explain to be why this is a good/bad build and what you would do to change it to make it better at this price point, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $108.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard $223.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $79.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $50.40 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $328.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $77.99 @ Micro Center
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1060.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-28 22:05 EDT-0400

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

That looks pretty good to me. You could certainly save a bit on the mobo without cheaping out and put that money into an ssd if that appeals to you?

Check out this board http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-sabertooth990fxr20

It would save you a little over $50. Which would almost totally absorb the price of an SSD for a boot/game drive. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-internal-hard-drive-sv300s37a120g

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I was definitely thinking about an SSD. That mobo does seem extremely well priced for similar specs. How long do you think this rig could last before I'd have to do any upgrades, and if I were to do upgrades, how long would it last before I'd have to start getting other new parts such as a newer mobo, power supply, etc.

I know this is a loaded question, I am just extremely new to building pc's and pc's in general. I was always bought my computers pre built which I now realize was an absolute waste of money compared to what I can build.

Thanks for the quick response btw!

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, if you ever want to upgrade your processor, you'd likely need to upgrade the motherboard as well. We don't know for sure, but it seems like AMD is not going to develop for the AM3+ socket much more, if at all. You probably don't need to worry about this though, processor sockets, and thus motherboards, update quite frequently. So no matter what you get, you probably won't use the motherboard in a build more than 2 or 3 years down the road.

Corsair makes quality power supplies, so that you could likely keep that for a while as long as your power requirements don't increase too much.

As for general upgrades, it really depends on what kind of performance you want. If you're happy turning future games down to lower settings, this should last for a few years. If you want to run everything at high resolutions with ultra settings and high fps, this rig wouldn't even do that now.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd suggest this motherboard, then put the saved money into an SSD.

I have this motherboard and it is very good.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga990fxaud3

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube