add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
mcwilliams117
  • 71 months ago

Hi everyone, So this is my first post (and first build!). The purpose of this build is principally gaming, although I also run some statistical analysis programs and other basic stuff for school.

I'm looking for some feedback on my parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mcwilliams117/saved/GgCFf7 . So far I have purchased the CPU and Motherboard as well as the CPU cooler. I'm trying to spread out the impact this build will have on my wallet so I'm sort of doing it part by part. The advantage of this strategy seems to be that I can combine a trip to visit friends in Boston with a stop by microcenter to take advantage of their insanely low CPU prices.

I suppose the main feedback I'm seeking is in regard to the GPU and the Power Supply. I've consistently seen it recommended that one buy a quality power supply, but what that actually entails seems to elude me. At a minimum I would like one that is semi-modular for better cable management, but apart from that I'm sort of lost. As for the GPU, I have a GTX 780 picked out in the parts list and was sort of set on that card, either from ASUS or EVGA, but now part of me is considering the R9 290 because it's considerably cheaper and (I've read) capable of overclock performance rivaling a stock 780.

Any assistance with these two components would be great, and further feedback is welcome

P.S. I am not set on 16 gigs of RAM, but I had it in the saved parts list and haven't bothered to change it. All else is right

P.P.S. Any monitor suggestions would be appreciated, especially if it affects a graphics card recommendation

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You have a solid looking build there. I'm an AMD fan, always have been. That being said, I'd stick with the GTX 780, I've heard never ending raves and rants on its performance (Specifically in correlation with the R9 290). The 290 is a great card, so if we're about the "Bang-For-Your-Buck" aspect, the 290 is the way to go, but I'm an overall performance person, so I'd recommend the 780.

Now the 290X is a different story, that thing can Rival the Titan(s)

As far as your psu goes, its great. The Corsair CXM series is a good, stable line of PSU's, and the Semi-Modular functionality makes cable management alot better.

The only thing I'd change is your wattage, I'd save some cash and get like a 600-650 Watt. I shoot for 100-200 Watts Over what my rig should be pulling to make my upgrading experience that much easier.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the wattage recommendation, it helps to clear things up =)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

As for your question regarding the PSU, when you here "get a good one," all that means is that quality is important. Faulty PSUs are one of the number one things to fail and/or cause mystery problems. In regards to "quality" you want one that is at least 80+ rated, which means that it is 80% efficient under load. What that means is, that when the PSU pulls 100 watts of power from the wall outlet it will supply at lease 80 watts to your system. The rest is lost through noise, heat, etc. This will lead to better/lower power bill.

The other thing with quality is build quality. Better PSU manufacturers use better quality materials which means the PSU will last longer. To go along with this statement understand that all hardware will fail given time and load. So another part of quality is the warranty the manufacturer offers and how they handle the RMA (return) process.

Bottom line, get an 80+ PSU from any of the following; Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, XFX, bequite!, PC Power and Cooling.

There are others but those are the ones that come to mind.

In reference to the video card, both will be just fine for your use. Understand that overclocking a GPU does not guarantee improved performance since the GPU with throttle back the clock speed when it gets to close to the temperature limit.

In reference to your selected amount of RAM- According to you stated usage you will not need more than 8GB total. Use the extra money on something else.

Monitor question- If you will be happy with 1080p then I would look for a model with a low GTG (grey to grey) response time (1-3ms). A lot of people like IPS (in plane switching) monitors. The give a wider viewing angle and a bit better color, but they generally have a much slower response time. Personally I like a faster response time.

I would recommend a monitor by ASUS.I personally have an ASUS VG248QE. 1ms response time and 144Hz. I love it. ASUS makes others that are 60Hz and much less expensive.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Well that is a very complete answer to my questions much appreciated! I will definitely scale back the RAM to 8GB, and look into that monitor

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube