add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build, any comments would be appreciated

radmon13
  • 70 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $75.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $139.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $139.99 @ Amazon
Storage Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $83.18 @ Amazon
Storage Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $83.18 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $336.99 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case $152.99 @ Best Buy
Power Supply Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $129.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $21.80 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1574.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-30 20:00 EDT-0400

Planning on RAID 0 for the two HDD drives.

Planning to use this for gaming and hopefully streaming purposes. I have memory cards available to me, so those aren't present here. Any help and comment would be awesome. Thanks!

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

Looks good,

Go with a different Mobo than ASROCK, Gigabyte and Asus are the only two brands that I would really recommend.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z87a

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, changed it, really appreciate it. Are there any other parts or additions you'd add to this? (specifically looking at sound card and wireless/wired Ethernet?)

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

If you gaming and especially streaming I wouldn't even go with wireless, the Mobo should support LAN/Ethernet and you should be fine.

I do international audio jobs and I still use the on-board sound card. However, if you do want a sound card then go with Creative Labs and only Creative Labs. Their cards are really well made and priced correctly. So the more you want to spend, the more your going to get.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

So I'm gonna sound horribly uninformed here but there is for sure an onboard sound card in this build? I wasn't sure.

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

Audio Chipset: Realtek ALC892

Audio Channels: 8 Channels

quoted from Newegg. Even if I'm not buying from Newegg I still like checking out the product there because they give the most information about the build. Make sure to watch the video too because they can give some valuable information.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Where'd you find this quote? Sorry still new to the site and learning my way around it. It has tons of information.

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

Seagate drive's have a higher failure rate than most others. I would change those to Western Digital or Toshiba or something. Otherwise, looks like a pretty solid build.

Oh and just another comment: For what you're spending on the build overall, I suggest investing in a better CPU cooler, especially if you want to overclock but if you aren't going to then it should work fine.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I'll change those. I'm not sure if I'm going to overclock it. Probably not right away, would you say I'd be able to replace the CPU cooler once I want to overclock? Or would It just be easier to right now?

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, you can replace the CPU cooler fairly easily, but if you don't want to have to worry about doing it twice then get the one you want to keep now and install it. My favorite is the corsair h60. It's super easy to install and looks really cool

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube