add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PCPartPicker shows incompatibility - Can someone assist?

johnstac
  • 70 months ago

I have been putting together a build and have already purchased much of the items. I have been using a site called PC Partpicker to track the items. Today I noticed an incompatibility notice that I do not understand and am hoping that someone here can help. Here was the notice:

Potential Issues/Incompatibilities

Crucial M550 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive and Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case are not compatible.

The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA Express port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA Express port is disabled.

*End*

Here is a link to the orginal build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/johnstac/saved/VrqBD3

I really do want to use the M.2 slot because I do believe it is the fastest option. It may not be the most economical but that is not my highest priority. I do also have other hard drives to be connected but what is the issue with the SATA express port. Does anyone see where I would need the SATA express port?

Any help would be appreciated. I am almost ready to begin assembly and don't want any surprises. johnstac is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

That's a bug - it shouldn't be counting the M.2 slot against the case. I'll get that fixed up.

For the SATA Express - what it means is that on the motherboard there are lanes connected to one of the SATA Express ports and the M.2 slot. If you use the M.2 slot, those lanes are dedicated to it and the SATA Express port is not usable. However, if you wanted to use the SATA Express port (of which there currently aren't any SATA Express drives listed), you'd have to remove the M.2 card.

We put that in there just so that people knew they couldn't use both at the same time. Every motherboard has different quirks with the M.2 slot - some make it disable SLI, others eSATA. It's a mess. But the warning you're seeing is just a note so you know that in the future that port won't be available for you to use if you have the M.2 drive installed.

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, I appreciate that you pointed out what this warning is. I cannot stress enough that this warning should be changed to something else. By listing is as "potential issues/incompatibilities" it gives the impression that there is something wrong with the build as it stands. I posted this issue on three different websites is an effort to determine what was wrong. You would not believe some of the answers I received. Many people insisting that my current build is wrong and will not work as it is right now. There must be another may to post this without scaring the hell out of people. I understand the intent but wow.....you would not believe how much controversy it caused. And of all the responses I received, no one suggested that it was just a warning. Everyone thus far believed that there truly is an issue with the build using the M.2 drive. Perhaps it is because people don't understand the drive and how it works.

Thanks for clearing it up anyway.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

It was a warning because there was a bug calculating the M.2 compatibility with the case, not the M.2 / SATA Express note. The big red warning box only appears when there's an issue, which we were incorrectly showing. I just fixed the bug, so it should be showing properly now. I apologize for the bug and the issues and concerns it caused. :(

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

its showing for me somehow.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you provide your part list permalink so I can take a look?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

nvm thank you so much I decided to change my ssd it was that problem.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay I need help in something else this is my build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HZD2Fd what motherboard do you prefer for gaming?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay I have the problem for the bandwith with M.2 Slot http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zBx2Fd Why?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey Philip, I'm a new Gaming PC Builder, and I recently just used this site to build my PC. After I was completed with this, I received a compatibility issue with the same thing this guy posted 12months ago. Is it still a bug or do I need fix my combination of items. Please Help & Thank You.

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

It was a bug. The M.2 does not need a 2.5" bay, as it's a slot on the motherboard. I've since fixed the bug.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Now you see what I mean by the responses.....lol :)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube