add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Rascal125
  • 71 months ago

This is my first ever computer build. Im only going to be using this for gaming, and my price cap is 900, but i could probably go about 50 over if i REALLY needed to, And I have to include my monitor and windows in that price. I was just wondering how this computer would work for my purpose. Any feedback is welcome, thanks in advance

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Rascal125/saved/83K2FT

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Do your research on that monitor, it might have a lot of unpleasant glare, as a lot of cheaper monitors do, as well as low quality color reproduction, which I believe that brand is quite notorious for. I also recommend you get a 500 GB HDD instead, storage is so cheap these days, why skimp? I also ask why you went with one stick of memory instead of two sticks for dual memory? Also, will you be overclocking?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I went one stick of memory because, for the moment thats all I need, and I know I can always add more when I need it. I won't be overclocking I don't think, and I think I will look into different monitors, are there any you recommend in particular?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I get you only want 8 gigabytes of memory, but it's better to get 2 channels (or two 4 gigabyte sticks of RAM) unless your motherboard has really good support for an odd numbers of RAM modules. It's what I've been told.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as monitors go you want good color reproduction, resolution (1920 x 1080 most likely) viewing angles, brightness (do good research on that, especially if you plan to use your computer in a well lighted room), refresh rate (not much of a concern, only for 4K monitors), hertz refresh rate (60 Hz is sufficient and standard), size and whether you want a matt screen or more of glossy screen. Lastly decide on an LCD or LED panel. I'm going to recommended LED right off the bat. Also, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend going into a store to actually seeing the monitor in good lighting. It will save you the hassle of not liking how it looks when you buy it or have it shipped, it will also show as a good demonstration of how much or little glare there is. It's also a good opportunity to look at all the of the above points mentioned when in store. You generally want to have a good feel of the monitor looking at in store before you buy it.

As far as brands go, the mainstream ones: BenQ (especially good for gaming, but you might need to spend a lot to get a good one, they also offer a lot of 120 Hz monitors), Samsung (General brand, with decent pricing, I bought a Samsung, not necessarily saying you should, but worth a look), Asus (Great in general, but do your research, I think they have a lot of glossy monitors), HP, and LG.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Im not crazy about spending 200+ for a monitor, but I did some research and looked at reviews and found this one from BenQ, what do you think about it?

BenQ GL2460HM - 24" TN LED-backlit LCD monitor

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not going to recommend a TN panel really, neither an LCD monitor, I would say to stick with LED and IPS displays unless it's a really good monitor.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel Core i5-3570 w/ ASRock Z75 Pro3: Unless you're getting a really good discount, note that the combination is based off the older "Ivy Bridge" design. Current is "Haswell Refresh"

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Im, sorry, I don't quite understand the difference between "Ivy Bridge" and "Haswell Refresh", if you could explain in a bit more depth it would be greatly appreciated.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Short answer, similar/more costs but lower performance by older "Ivy Bridge" designs.
  • For technical details, click HERE

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube