add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Complete Gaming PC Build - Opinions Wanted

steve2pwn
  • 70 months ago

Hey guys, after quite a bit of filtering and exchanging i think i have something pretty close to my final list, but id appreciate any inputs/criticisms etc towards whats currently on the list.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/x4Zst6

Notes - Im aware 16gb of ram is overkill for gaming, but the pc will be used for some 3D rendering from time to time and quite a bit of multi-tasking, and wondering if this build would be well capable of streaming on twitch without any real struggle?

Originally i was going to get 2 of the benq monitors, but then decided to get the asus 144hz monitor for the main gaming monitor. (Thoughts please)

Also The H100i cpu cooler is on the list, but seen somewhere that the cheaper model actually provides better cooling?

Better fans will also be fitted throughout the case :)

Thanks for taking a look, and i appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

+bump

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Hdw923

This would have better gaming performance and is slightly cheaper. I put in a 4690k, it's far better in single threaded applications than the fx8350, which is important for gaming. It still holds up well in multithreaded, and can overclock much better.

I have the gtx770, it can run most games on ultra around 40-60fps, a 144hz monitor would be money wasted with that GPU (unless you're a CS pro or something). I would just get 2 benq monitors, and use the extra money to get a better GPU that will let you play everything at max settings 60fps.

I also put in a gold rated fully modular PSU and a slightly cheaper mobo.

I can't comment on whether the H100i being worse than the cheaper model.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Any GPU's you would recommend? My budget is flexible for this pc, looking something with alot of overclocking potential, id play quite abit of competetive FPS thats why i was on the lookout for a 120hz monitor, and the ASUS caught my eye, also the 3D option is there too which would be a nice little project to look into just as a feature to play with when im not doing much else. The first choice was two of those BenQ monitors, then i got looking into a few of the 120hz, but nothing on the list is set in stone :)

Im looking to run pretty much all current games on ultra and hopefully a few new releases so any suggestions are welcome :) thanks again for taking the time to reply :)

Edit - Just double checked that list you posted, have you had any experience with that 780gtx 3gb? if so, would you scrap the 120hz idea and go with a 3 monitor setup instead?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

The GTX780 is a beast of a card. It still won't play EVERY game on max settings at 1080p/60fps (eg Crysis 3 or Metro:LL) but it will tear through pretty much everything else.

The GTX770 is still a great card, but I often have to crank down settings in games slightly to get a stable 60fps.

If you have a flexible budget and want to play competitive FPSs then by all means get the 120hz monitor, I was assuming you didn't want to spend any more. You would probably need the 780 to take advantage of it.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

the 120hz monitor i still have to think about :) and having a 2 monitor setup with mismatched monitors looks a bit ghetto, and i wont be buying two of them :P

The 120Hz monitor i'm yet to make a final decision on, having a 2 monitor setup with two different monitors might look a bit ghetto too, i dont plan on buying two 120hz monitors , one just for thinks like twitch, internet, skype, ts etc then one for gaming, but i'm thinking if im putting all the money into the computer for it to be .. 'capped' by the monitor? if that even makes sense i'm not sure..

Im torn between going with an Intel setup vs the Amd setup tho, i was under the impression that you can get more of an overclock from the amd cards, even with Intel's K series? Could you explain the noticable benifits of that processor for gaming compared to the 8350? And is the MSI motherboard as overclock friendly as the sabertooth? :)

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a 16:9 IPS and an old crappy 4:3 for my dual monitor set up, one for important things and one for whatever other crap I have open. It's ghetto but you get over it :p

No single GPU set up will be able to max every game at 60fps, so a 60hz monitor wouldn't be capping anything significantly.

Any z87/z97 mobo with an intel K processor is very overclock friendly. You could get an ASUS board if you want super-easy overclocking, they have software that does it automatically.

The 4790k has much better single core performance which is what matters for gaming. They both have similar multithreaded performance. I doubt changing processor will make a huge noticeable difference though, unless you're playing games like minecraft or CS:GO which are very intensive on single cores.

I prefer Intel because the processors are more power efficient/cooler/better driver support/generally better designed. AMD compete by having more cores, higher clock speeds & lower prices. I also have a grudge against AMD because their switchable graphics drivers have made gaming on my laptop nearly impossible...

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

What would be the next step up processor wise? So that i'd be able to play CS:GO & Minecraft etc? Looking a system that could handle any game i throw at it, and to be honest i don't mind turning down a few of the beauty settings for max performance :) Need something that is capable of streaming these games as well, do you think it will struggle?

Also would you go with win 8.1? From what i've seen it has some pretty good benefits for gaming?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Would this be the 'crem de la crem' of GPU's? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-03gp42883kr

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

No that is the reference style GPU. One of the best ones would be this: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-03gp43788kr (the one I up-graded to) or this http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n780lightning

PSU comparison you ask about , read thru it: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/05/16/evga_supernova_nex650g_650w_power_supply_review/9#.U950VPldUXx

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Hardest decision of the rig so far.. i've seen a few rigs with the lightning, whats your opinions on the classified evga? :)

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I have it and love it. OCed to 1228 on stock voltage running 24/7 @ 64c. I got higher when I increased voltage but I did not want to shorten its life expectancy since it runs 24/7 Folding http://folding.stanford.edu/ .

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

That folding thing looks great? Never seen it before but i'll consider it now :o

What about the lightning edition? How would it compare? And how come they're both cheaper than the reference model but with higher specs?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Either one would serve you well. I like EVGAs more liberal warranty polices. Keep in mind if you go with one of those 2 cards you may want to up your PSU wattage as they can pull alot of power if you start to overvolt them. I went from 660w to 760w just to be sure. Custom BIOS are easier to find for the EVGA version also. http://www.overclock.net/t/1411500/official-evga-classified-owners-club

PSU suggestion: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750bbefx

Review: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/XFX-PRO-750-W-Black-Edition-Full-Modular-Power-Supply-Review/1695/13

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Read through some of the comments and thoughts on the build suggestions and thought I'd say this:

Don't bother with an i7 unless you specifically KNOW the programs you use make use of it. Fact is games don't take advantage of hyperthreading, and few application scenarios do.

Don't go with a 780. A 290 is cheaper (around 80 ish) and gives you more performance and vram to boot.

Don't go for a g-sync kit either obviously as it's useless with AMD. Fact is Freesync will be launching soon enough and some existing monitors will support the standard. Means you get the same feature as gsync for free without need of an extra component.

A 760T is a big case and you've got a single gpu with from the looks of it no plan to go dual gpu. Stick with a midtower case instead to save more money.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey Phantom thanks for the comment :) I'm aware the i7 is overkill for gaming alone, but for this rig i'll be constantly recording/streaming, editing/rendering videos and doing alot of cinema 4D work along with a few other programs, and i'm an awful one for doing one thing at a time so i'm likely to have alot of these open and working at once? Surely that would edge me more towards the i7, plus the processor is the one part of the computer i don't fancy upgrading unless necessary. So a little bit of future-proofing is welcome in the cpu department.

As for the 780 along with GSync it's not yet set in stone, the GSync would be an addon when it gets abit cheaper :) was only a thought, but atleast its an option.

I want this rig to last, so i'd like the option for a 2nd GPU to always be there, might treat myself to a second 780gtx come X-Mas time ;)

The budget i've settled on is around £1600 including the 144hz Asus monitor, which happens to pair up nicely with the 780gtx's. As for the case, i fell in love with it the first time i seen it, lots of working room / breathing room. Not to mention i've to look at this thing all the time, so if i'm looking at this thing all day i'd like it to look 'purdy' :P Not to mention the opening door is very nice, as i'm abit of a dust freak when it comes to things like this :P and will keep me more inclined to keep it fresh :)

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube