add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

P47Fighter
  • 70 months ago

Hello, I'm new into building pcs, i just made one and everything boots up fine, the only thing left is either choosing windows 8.1 or windows 7, Im new to windows too, i have always used mac, but i have grown tired of buying a new one when it starts to get obsolete, so i decided to build my own, and i have asked for some opinions and some say windows 8 is better and others say windows 7 in way better, and others say windows 8 is only good if you are planing on having a touch screen. i would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thank you.

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

You can decide for yourself. With Windows 7, you can try it for free 120 days. Instructions available at: How-To Geek. You can download the Windows 7 iso file to create a DVD disc from a number of websites. e.g. mKn.Creations

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend this as well

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

I would definitely go with Windows 8.1 since you're new to Windows. Most people who dislike 8.1 dislike it because it's so radically different from Windows 7. Once you get used to it I think it's faster and more enjoyable to use. But its hard for some people to change especially for something as basic as an OS from an end user perspective.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you keep your Mac for non-gaming? They last a lot longer than Windows laptops if you don't game on them. Windows 8.1 is tolerable if you only use your rig for gaming and DirectX 11.2 will be Windows 8.1-only.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/160076-directx-11-2-will-be-a-windows-8-1-and-xbox-one-exclusive-microsoft-dangles-the-upgrade-carrot

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

8 is the best OS you can get in terms of gaming performance, but in many ways the default version of it is very gimped.

If you go with Windows 7, I would highly suggest you get at least Windows 7 Professional. This version of windows places no restrictions on your use of the system, and throws in a few nice additions, like Windows XP Mode (for running old programs).

Finally, since you're a Mac guy, I'd recommend taking a look at Linux; specifically Ubuntu or Debian. You'll find it eerily similar in some ways to the way things are done on Mac, and you can't beat the price of free.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I was a 8 hater, loved 7 but on my build I figured I had to try it sooner or later so i went with 8.1 and I really like it. I love the file system were you can see every program installed from metro. Go with 8.1 it's the future.

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

I was the same way, when 8 came out I hated it, but when I got a laptop with 8 on it, the difference was incredible. Now I cant go back to 7, it just feels oddly slower to me.

Also, the whole sync between computers thing with the microsoft account is a godsend, it really saves me from setting things up on each computer I put 8 on.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay so as someone who used both here's my Honest opinion. I'm a power user and do not have a touch screen. I have a tablet... but it doesn't work with 8.1. I currently love windows 8.1 I barely ever touch the metro screen, and have little to no reason to. I do not have a Microsoft Login I have a local Login file. You can remove all those stupid apps. The start menu... who cares. I don't care about it anymore, no functionality is missing by removing it. It has better performance because it's less demanding and did I mention my PC boots up in 13 seconds or less? But there are some drawbacks. It's missing aero, it's missing desktop gadgets and... that's pretty much it.

Give 8.1 a fair go.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

It's all about flavours. 8.1 is rhubarb. Some people like it. Most people will like it after a ton of sugar is added. And there are a few, like myself, that can't stand it and won't have anything to do with it. Having to buy and/or download apps to change the O/S right out of the box is an irritant.

Win 7 is apple pie. Standard. Traditional. Delicious. Get the Pro and have it a la mode. Perfect!

The problem is that it is expensive. I just bought 7 Pro for my new build it cost me $150. 8.1 can be had as a deal for less than $100 and there's sales for it much cheaper. Of course there's an obvious reason for it. Still, Win 7 is obsolete. It's just the most popular O/S in the world and isn't going to go away any time soon.

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

"Having to buy and/or download apps to change the O/S right out of the box is an irritant." What?

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

You can get programs to change 8 to look and operate like 7, though I really wouldn't recommend it

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't bought or downloaded any apps for windows 8.1. Actually if anything the irritating part is uninstalling the apps that came with windows.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go with 7, I hate windows 8. If you've never used windows before you might hate it less as it will be new no matter which one you choose.

I'm sticking with 7 until 9 comes out.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 8.1. I switched from XP to 8 and was fine. The desktop mode is exactly the same as 7, and you aren't forced to be in the start menu at all. I am always in desktop mode, as I have no need for the start menu.

• 70 months ago
  • 0 points

Windows 7 is better it is true that 8 is faster but not as fast as Linux Ubuntu overall I would go with 7 anyday after being through hell in w8.1 killing my braincells and no optimazation for older games like Dead Space etc

• 70 months ago
  • 0 points

Windows 8.1 hands down. If this is a pc for gaming windows 7 does not have directx 12 support.

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

And neither do games... Yet. lol

I'm also going to break from my normal stance here and say 8.1

The reason is that since your new to Windows as a whole, you have not already become familiar with the advanced features of 7,which is what the biggest gripe about 8 is all about aside from the start menu bs... So, since your starting fresh, get the newest 8.1 and learn on that. It's faster by a small amount, but it's sure not to annoy you half as bad as it does us old dogs also. And it costs less... Get professional 64bit though.

• 70 months ago
  • 0 points

I strongly recommend Windows 7 Home Premium-it doesn't have any extra baggage, unlike Windows 8. Additionally, 8 has a backdoor and 7 is older and therefore cheaper. Not to mention it has a WAY more concise file system and is easier to navigate.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube