add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build (£700 budget) - any advice most welcome

eduk
  • 70 months ago

Ok I've put together a first pass build and I was really hoping for some advice from the experienced members on the forum. I've never done a build before so my knowledge is close to zero :) I have roughly £700 to spend, less is obviously better but a little more is fine if justified.

CPU - i5 4690k - I don't actually intend to overclock right now (although it's always nice to have the option). It just seems that the price difference of about 20 quid means it doesn't really make sense to get a i5 4670 instead?

GPU - GTX 760 - Just seems like great value. I do want to play the latest games on decent settings at high res but I'm not too concerned about bragging rights. I'm assuming that the GTX 760 outstrips anything the xbone or ps4 could manage? (which I guess is roughly my benchmark) The other card I was considering is the R9 280. Seems similar to the 760 but I'm no expert.

Case - Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower - I really know nothing about cases. This seemed a good one for the price based on Amazon reviews. I don't need much from the case. So long as everything fits inside and the cooling is ok that seems the most important. I don't care less about looks :)

MOBO - ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 - Now I'm really out of my depth :) I picked this one because it seemed compatible and cheap but not too cheap, that's about as far as my 'knowledge' goes.

Ram - Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 - Again picked this because it seems well priced. Ram seems practically almost all the same in benchmarks, but I assume I'm missing something? should I just spend 20 quid more and get a 'recognised' brand?

Storage SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" SSD - is 120 enough? I don't mind doing a bit of management. And getting more is starting to go over budget. Also I have no idea on the relative strengths of the different manufacturers.

Storage Hybrid - Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid - Hybrid seems to be great value technology? Again I know nothing about the manufacturer. I can't imagine needing more than 1TB.

PSU - Corsair 500W ATX12V - 500w seems enough? This is modular which also seems nice? But I know nothing about the manufacturer.

optical drive - Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer - I only need it to install windows, I might not even use it again!

wireless network adaptor - TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 - I need one, but I have no idea on how good this one is?

many thanks for any help

Ed

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

You wanna fix that walloftext? It's kinda hard to read atm.

A permalink to your build would be good too (if you've got it, there's no saved parts list for your profile).

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

hope that's a bit better, here's a link

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/eduk/saved/J7Dkcf

thanks

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Well crap, lost my post when chrome crashed :(

At least the build survived :D

Fire away if you've got any questions :D

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £163.14 @ Aria PC
Motherboard ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £75.99 @ Ebuyer
Memory Kingston Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £58.18 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £56.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £35.94 @ Aria PC
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card £188.74 @ Scan.co.uk
Case Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case £49.20 @ Aria PC
Power Supply XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply £59.99 @ Scan.co.uk
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer £12.64 @ CCL Computers
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter £9.58 @ CCL Computers
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £710.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-05 01:48 BST+0100

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6236/xfx-radeon-r9-280x-3gb-double-d-black-edition-oc-video-card-review/index.html

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

stupid chrome :(

many thanks, the 280x looks like a great card (hadn't spotted it) and I notice you upgrade my psu and ram (I was worried about the ram).

I have two questions :)

Any reason not to go with a 1T hybrid drive? Plus do I need an after market cooler? Any you would recommend?

thanks again for your post, really useful.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I just wanted to add, the xfx r9 280x seems to be out of stock. Looking about it seems a mine field of different versions from different manufacturers. So now I'm unsure again :) it looks like it's between

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-gtx-760-twin-frozr-gaming-oc-28nm-pcie-30-(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-1085mhz-boost-1150mhz-core

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-msi-radeon-r9-280x-gaming-3g-twin-frozr-oc-28nm-6000mhz-gddr5-gpu-1000mhz-boost-1050mhz-2048-str

about £50 difference. Both from msi, which seem reasonable to me, but I have no experience.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I stumbled across that tweaktown review and I thought it sounded so awesome, it's the cheapest 280x for you folks too :o

The patriot ram was ok but the latency (how long it takes to respond to a request) was a little high, and if you can get better for (just!) cheaper... :D

Corsair don't really make bad psus (well... they don't make any if you wanna get technical about it, they're all subcontracted) but if I was dropping a chunk of change on a new rig I wouldn't trust anything but seasonic, they're one of the top manufacturers and while some folks call em ott I'd rather pay a little more for the extra quality/peace of mind.

More importantly if you pay for your own electricity I think a gold rated unit is a no-brainer, costs more upfront but the savings on your electricity bill pay for the upgrade vs bronze in about a couple of years, so after that it's all money in the bank and you get a better quality psu into the bargain.

All xfx psus are made by seasonic - http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

Alright, questions! :D

I think the hybrid hdd is ... not gonna do you much good tbh, a boot/programs ssd will make the entire system fly & if all you're storing on the hdd is mp3s, films and that kind of thing it's just (imo) wasted expenditure, to keep a grip on the budget I think it's better to allocate that ~20 quid to an area where you'll notice it more.

CPU cooler, you don't really need a better one than what usually^ comes with the cpu unless you're overclocking, as you're not ocing straight away it's another ~15 quid I think you can make better use of elsewhere. Cooler master hyper 212 evo is the usual budget pick when you do wanna oc it.

^ original 4690k from overclockersuk didn't have a stock cooler

...I covered all that originally but I just couldn't face starting from scratch after the crash, bad google!

edit. ha, I didn't refresh the page before I typed that up, the xfx 280x seems to be in stock at amazon & more, tho not for the nice price scan had it for...

I'd prolly stick with the msi 280x if the xfx is still unavailable when you order, even the stock clocked 280x (visiontek) from that tweaktown review beats the 770 in most games and you get an extra gig of ram, which is a nice bit of future-proofing that might come in handy in the next 1-2 years.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Just want to say thank you very much for your time, you've been a big help. It's nice to have my noob mistakes corrected :) didn't realise some vendors sold the i5 without the cooler fan for example. Another thing to look out for. Now all I need to do is build this bad boy :)

thanks again

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube