add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How well would this work as a Software Dev / Gaming Rig?

DinoDan
  • 70 months ago

Want to play with this cpu and OC it. Will eventually upgrade CPU to either a 4690k or a 4790k. Basically only games I play are from Blizzard Entertainment and I like to build web pages and .net programming.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor $59.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $98.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $0.00
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card $199.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower Case $83.99 @ Best Buy
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $0.00
Monitor HP D2W67A8#ABA 60Hz 19.0" Monitor $0.00
Monitor BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor $139.99 @ NCIX US
Case Fan Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan $7.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan $2.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 Stealth Edition Wired Gaming Keyboard $133.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $882.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-04 11:25 EDT-0400

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

that CPU will bottleneck on some of the higher end games with that card.. I do however think this cpu is great for mid level gaming..but when getting into the $800 range it might not perform as well as you would like, especially with multitasking. If your going to spend this much I would really suggest you to get nothing less then the new I3 haswell refresh, but if budget don't allow then it should suffice, and is a great budget buy.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking that since my current budget is pretty tight then I could go with this CPU then after I have had a chance to play with it some if it doesn't meet my needs I'm only out 70 bucks and I can save for an i7 haswell refresh. But during the save up time I still have a comp that will at-least moderately meet my needs.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

really I would look at getting a cheap keyboard and maybe a cheaper case. Its just odd to me your willing to pay more for your KB then your CPU.. I will toss a build together for you and you can do with it what you like.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.98 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $74.24 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $88.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $0.00
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $199.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $0.00
Monitor HP D2W67A8#ABA 60Hz 19.0" Monitor $0.00
Monitor BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor $139.99 @ NCIX US
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $29.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $853.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-05 13:50 EDT-0400
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually want to get a better CPU but this one seems like it could be a lot of fun to OC and see what I can learn with it. The keyboard option is not set in stone... I just threw that on there because I like it. I also want to make sure the "feel" of the computer is good... i.e. no super crappy keyboard. so maybe I should not have even included it in this build. I dont really consider it a part of the budget anyways. My budget is flexible but I want to be prepared to upgrade CPU's but at the cheapest possible price.

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

did you check out that keyboard I suggested. I went with it because it looked nice, had a lot of good reviews and was cheap.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I do like that keyboard... Thank you for suggesting it. Price is nice and it looks cool too. The blue will look nice with my Razer Nostromo I already have.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

If you overclock that cpu to like 4.8Ghz or 4.6Ghz, the CPU would not bottleneck.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, then in 2 months it will be fried.. not really a good idea to OC this thing to that speed especially with only a 212 EVO..

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a H100i and it wont fry.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

but then hes over budget, might as well get an I5

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, good point. But he doesn't say he has a set budget.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I would be curious where you would find information to support this claim? I do understand it is possible but are you stating an opinion here or is this a supported fact? If it is a fact I would love to read through the documentation.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

its a fact that OC your CPU lowers the life expectancy of your CPU. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a great budget Cooler but its not a top of the line cooler. If your putting maximum stress on the chip running its practical limit of 4.6-4.8. you would want the best cooler you can get. Its's not a fact or an opinion was more of a warning of risk. Especially since this is the first unlocked haswell with 2 cores.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I appologise if my queston came off sounding like I dont beleive you... I do in fact, know this to be the case. I was wondering if there is any place where there are any stats on the life expectancy of this chip or other chips under overclocking conditions. My question on fact/opinion was based around the estimated 2 months you gave.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

yea, sorry that 2 months thing was just a number I tossed out there trying to get across that 4.8 was risky with this 212 Evo..I don't have any facts supporting that timeline..so that was opinion.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube