add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

White/Orange-- Light Gaming/CAD Workstation

RGoody
  • 70 months ago

Dont start typing a response please until you read my reasoning for every part (located after list)

$1600 budget

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $269.98 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $164.95 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Kingston Fury White Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $159.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $104.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $309.99 @ NCIX US
Case Corsair Vengeance C70 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $71.66 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $92.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $139.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-G300LX 802.11b/g PCI Wi-Fi Adapter $10.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Rosewill RK-9000BRI Wired Standard Keyboard $79.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse $63.63 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1619.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-04 14:40 EDT-0400

Processor: The Xeon is a server grade processor, I know that. I chose it because it was better than a similarly priced i7 in budget. I think it was a 4770? I dont need integrated graphics (the 1246 has integrated HD, the 1241 does not. Same other than that), and the server side of the Xeon meant better operation for CAD-type work and programs (Inventor, Sldwrks, etc.) For all of you who think I made the wrong choice, look here: i7-4770 vs. i7-4790 vs. Xeon e3-1246

Cooler: Great reviews, and I wish I could have water cooling, but it wasnt in budget

Mobo: Chose because of performance numbers, but also color.

Memory: Chose because of the features (I dont need any more than 1600MHz, I didnt think that the CAS 10 was bad) and color

Storage: Took a 256 SSD for boot files and the most commonly accessed things on the computer. Will add a 1TB+ HDD if need be...

GPU: Not enough $ for a 780. I had considered a quadro (k?)2000, but I will also be using this computer for gaming in the future (thus the mouse as well) so went with a 2GB GTX770

Case: Loved the C70 because of the hinges on the side, color, good airflow (IMO) and price.

PSU: Was unsure about the EVGA because of some poor reviews, but I had no choice to fit budget. The 750 seemed to have more favorable reviews than the 650, and though 750 is overkill, I chose it.

CD/DVD: Not much to say here. Cheap and good ratings.

OS: Win7 all the way. Some of my friends tried to convince me to get 8.1, but after I tried it on my families other computer, I couldnt take it. I'll sacrifice a few seconds of boot and minimal speed gains for an overall better user experience. Better infrastructure for Win7 IMO anyways. Probably will upgrade to Win9 When it comes out.

Monitor: Was recommended because of IPS. Better for CAD work and 3D modeling.

WiFi Adapter: wanted something for the PCI slot, not USB, and I had no choice because I cant run a wired connection to my workstation.

Keyboard: Cherry MX Brown really appealed. Liked the silver of the Rosewill, and the price, respectfully.

Mouse: Debated between a Logitech Performance and the M65. Chose the m65 because the Performance just looked uncomfortable for the work/gaming that I do. I dont care for the "ergonomic" feel.

Tell me what you would change, still within budget and keeping color scheme.

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

bump

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks nice.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube