add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$600 Budget first time build, need advice

brandonthompson
  • 71 months ago

This will be my first build. I'm planning on getting into gaming, not sure how heavily yet (pretty sure I don't want to overclock). Any advice is welcome, but I especially would like advice on the MoBo, RAM, and video card I've chosen or any alternatives as I don't know first hand how any of these things interact with games. I'm also a college student so I should be getting windows 8 for free or close to it. Thanks.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $117.00 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $49.79 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $76.50 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $80.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $57.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $139.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $617.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-04 19:24 EDT-0400

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Just get the new pentium(g3258) and overclock the hell out of it with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo to get better performance than an i3. Just get an Asus B85, H81, H87/97, or Z87/97 to overclock. All the Asus mobo's with with those chipsets can overclock the pentium g3258 and the K cpu's.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

He says in the description that he's pretty sure he doesn't want to overclock.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, but that pentium would destroy that i3 in gaming.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm pretty certain they perform relatively the same, but the i3 has hyperthreading. The only other difference otherwise appears to be that the i3 has more instruction-set-extensions.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. I was considering spending a tad more and going for an asus or msi mobo, as I've heard the BIOS on those two are better. Even without the pentium, you think that would be an upgrade to the mobo? Obviously I don't have one picked out yet.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a great partslist.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! Was considering altering the mobo however, maybe to something asus or msi, I've heard better things about their BIOS.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Change it to Asus if anything.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube