add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Zeroing in on completed build (all comments really appreciated)

Northstar08
  • 70 months ago

I am really hoping I have a solid build now

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Northstar08/saved/pzytt6

All comments are really appreciated

P.S. I sometimes spent a little more on parts in order to get parts where all reviews averaged 5 eggs on newegg site

Thanks

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

A few things I would like to point out are that you could go with a cheaper motherboard, you could go with a cheaper 1tb storage and only lose a bit of reliability testing (although storage is storage, it won't make too big of a difference), slightly cheaper RAM, and that you don't need 850W for a single 770.

With some slight adjustments, the partslist could look like this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/hsp9wP which has a cheaper and also reliable 1tb storage unit, cheaper motherboard, slightly cheaper but very reliable seasonic PSU with more appropriate wattage, slightly cheaper RAM and an r9 290, which will offer a tiny bit more performance than the 770. That leaves room in the budget for other things, like maybe a closed loop water cooler.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback.

My build has changed so much over the past few weeks. At one point I had the Motherboard you suggested and the very last change I made was substituting the Video Card you suggested.

I did a lot of research and read website reviews on the Radeon R9 280, 280x, 290 and 290x Chipset and these were extremely good. It was only after I started looking at customer reviews (on newegg) that I got extremely nervous. That is when I started researching the GeForce GTX 770, 780 and 780i. Again website reviews were really good but also customer reviews (on newegg) backed these reviews up. I then decided I would pay a little more for peace of mind as I am brand new to building my own PC and want as few headaches, workarounds and returns as possible.

I really do appreciate the advice and am going to do more research and see what I can find out

Thanks

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, just keep in mind that reviews aren't everything. Raidmax powersupplies, despite having an awful reputation for destroying and damaging systems and being low quality, are pretty much all 4/5 stars on Newegg. Videocard brands like Gigabyte, MSI, XFX and Sapphire are all pretty reliable for AMD cards. nVidia cards tend to be very popular though because of a variety of reasons, some including bias and previous reputation. Since this is your build I'm not going to try to pressure you into making buying decisions though.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks very much.

At work right now.

I will probably switch back again to the Radeon R9 290 or 280x

So hard to make a final decision.

Really do appreciate the advice

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube