add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Blue Nzxt H400 build tips/suggestions/help

hardscoper9v
  • 70 months ago

This is an upgrade to my previous build now that i have some extra cash in my pocket ($700 to be exact). I wanted a blue themed build with this because I have the Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer ram that has flashing blue lights. I wanted to try out Intel's new Devils Canyon cpu. I already have the motherboard which looks amazing. I have the Nzxt H440 green listed, but because Pcpartpicker does not have the blue version on the site. I am planning to spray paint my PNY 650 video cards plastic fan mount blue like the motherboard. Any tips or suggestions would be very helpfull. Thanks! PS: the motherboard cost me $97.23 so I have $602.77 left with my budget.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZbzbTW

oops I meant H440 not H400

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $223.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $136.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $88.99 @ Mwave
Case NZXT H440 (Green/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans $24.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan $19.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $654.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-07 03:57 EDT-0400

not really sure what parts you need but i got the price down a tiny bit by switching the 4690k with the 4690 and getting a more powerful psu for cheaper. Please tell if you like

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I like the power supply that you suggested, but i have a question: The i5 4690k is the new Devils Canyon, but the i5 4690 is not Devils Canyon. I wanted to try the new Devils Canyon, but i do not know if i will need to overclock. So what I am asking is will i need to overclock this processor or can i just go with the i5 4690. I will be using this machine for gaming/ everything else. Thanks! PS: the price difference between the i5 4690k and the 4690 is only around $10-$15.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

im pretty sure it is D.C. or Haswell refresh....

The 4690 has Intel Turbo boost technology basically overclocking itself from 3.5 to 3.9Ghz. Also, with the motherboard you chose, you cant overclock anyway because it is H97 and not Z97. You will be fine with the 4690 and you have the option to Boost it with the intel tech

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

get the unlocked version..I mean its $5 more..but remember you would want un unlocked MB...also paying that much for a cooler.. it would be stupid in my opinion to not get an unlocked cpu

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

here ya go, if your going SLI in future might want to look at another MB..but this one does support crossfire.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.98 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $136.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $89.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT H440 (Green/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans $24.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan $19.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $661.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-07 14:18 EDT-0400
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Valid response. These prices are fluctuations like crazy! I get confusion because one day, the price for a 4690 is 194.99 the next it is like 230.

As for motherboards, I'd recommend Msi z97 gaming 3 or 5, asrock extreme4,mid to high end Asus boards.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

get the MSI 297 sli, relative inexpensive, angled USB 3.0 connector, supports 2 way sli or 3 way cross fire.

Also slightly confused, in your title, you say blue, however your build has the green case?

Edit: Just Realised the blue case isn't listed n PCPC database.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

the 4690 and 4690k are the same processor with the only diffrence being the 4690k is a unlocked processor. that being said if you do not intend to overclock their is no sense in buying a 4690k over a 4670k the processor are almost the same except the 4690k has a better heat contact allowing you to overclock it better then the 4670k can overclock. its called a haswell refresh because haswell basically made the 4670 line and didnt make the heat contact as well as it could ahve been so this is them fixing that mistake to my knowledge the 4670k and the 4690k are very similiar priced so i would go with the 4690k because of the higher head room for O.C. and hey that free performance boost why not

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks!

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Paint the parts with PlastiDip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQIal_982fE

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I love linus tech tips. That is what i was planning to paint my video card with.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Same here man! good luck man! Hope everything works out :)

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

On my current rig, i am having trouble with sound glitching in games and pandora? any ideas Subsonic?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

check the motherboards site for audio driver updates and try rolling back the drivers and see if it fixes it

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

That would be quite hard if not impossible to do since I was too cheap to buy windows and use Linux. I tried re plugging the audio header back in and out and in afew times but it did not work. This is one of the times that I really wish I used windows...

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all of your suggestions. But i think i will go with the core i5 4690k for the better thermals and overclocking in the future (with different mobo), and I will see if i get paid before the promo code on the psu is over. Thanks for all of your help!

Me.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube