add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
alextargaryen
  • 71 months ago

Hey guys,

I'm planning on building a Media center PC for my living room. At the moment a have an i5 Dell Inspiron laptop, but because of the heat it gets too noisy.

These are the parts i'm thinking of using: The prices you see below are not the actual ones since i'm shopping locally.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/p6nQK8 Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/p6nQK8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim 113.8 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($112.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.79 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.50 @ Amazon)

Video Card: HIS Radeon R7 240 1GB Video Card ($62.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Aerocool DS-Cube Black/White MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($103.99 @ Mwave)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Case Fan: Aerocool DS 140mm Black 93.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($18.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $741.19 Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-07 05:02 EDT-0400

I chose the specific motherboard for maybe a future upgrade.

The cooler is a strange choice(i own a BQ PSU on my gaming PC and it's very good). I chose this cooler because i'm shopping locally and the Hyper 212 Evo is out of stock for some reason!

Ram is.. well, RAM. I think 4GB will be enough. If not, i'll just add another 4GB.

I'm adding an SSD for the OS and some programs i might be using. I got the 840 Pro on my other PC and i just love it! HDD is for my media. I think 1TB should be enough for now.

I have an unused XFX HD5850 GPU, but i don't want to use that because of it's power consumption, and i think it's much more than what i need. I'm going to swap it for a Sapphire R7 240 1GDDR5(wasn't in the PCPP directory), since it's much quieter and it doesn't consume that much power.

I know 520w is a bit much for this PC, but if i sometime decide to add a better GPU, or i OC that gem of a CPU, i might need it! :)

I'm also adding an extra 140mm fan on the top of the case(front and back are included).

Tell me what you guys think. Should i change something? Thanks!!

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • -2 points

Your gonna have to over clock.

your gonna need more. ram trust me 4gb won't be enough.

your going to have to spen d more money on gpu

no wonder it turned out so high.

ssd to expensive thats double the price. it might not be faster but it is better. if you really scared about the 55 dollar one then just get a 70 dollar one but 100 is to much. also that hard drive supposed to cost 50 bucks.

oh yeah ram to expensive should be like 35 or something.

that case is so expensive.

that fan overpriced like instead of spending 20 bucks o one how about 4 dollars for 6 each

nice psu

conclusion you could save a lot of money to upgrade gpu

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Did you even bother to read my post?? "The prices you see below are not the actual ones since i'm shopping locally." I will not be using this PC for gaming! This is a for movies and maybe an emulator for my android apps.

• 70 months ago
  • -3 points

locally will even be more expensive. just saying. so you don't watch movies in full hd oh oh poor you :(

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

..what?? what are you talking about??

• 70 months ago
  • -2 points

that gpu won't get you hd like 720p maybe.

• 70 months ago
  • 3 points

lol... I built a 350$ HTPC and I'm running 1080p movies just fine with my Athlon 5350 with integrated graphics.

As for recommandations, like MacerV suggested, going with a discrete GPU for a Media Center / HTPC will only add to the power consumption of your system and generate more heat. If you're not doing any gaming whatsoever with that PC, the onboard graphics should suffice.

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I already own a 5850, but i'm swapping it for the R7 240 for lower noise and power. I will not be paying anything for the GPU :) Thanks for your input.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube