add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Gaming Build / Suggestions - Help

captainoe40
  • 70 months ago

Looking to build my first gaming PC. Went with a Intel Core i7-4790 instead of i7-4790k since I have no experince with overclocking. Also figure I do not need to spend money on an expensive CPU fan if I am not going to be overclocking. Was trying to keep the build between $1200-$1400 without spending a lot on upgrades if there was a part that fit into my budget and had a good price for its performance level. I had an issue with my last computer not having enough power to support the video card I wanted to upgrade it with so I went a little heavy on the power supply to take into account any future upgrades. My main concern is that I am leaving a lot of power / performance (gaming wise) on the table by not going with a CPU I can overclock. It would cost about $100 more for the i7-4790K plus CPU fan. Was hoping I could keep everything on the SSD if I got one with enough space (500gb) and if I need room down the line, I could purchase a HDD and transfer information. Very open to suggestions / improvements and any comments you may have.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KBRGhM

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

An i5 would be a better choice for gaming because games don't profit from HyperThreading.

Hero is a bit too pricey board(in this case), because you aren't going to overclock.

You should get cheaper RAM(~20 dollars cheaper).

You should get:

i5-4460 + H97 PRO4 + Corsair XMS3 8GB (or some other RAM set)

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Appreciate the advice. Very helpful!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube