add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Time Build--A SolidWorks CAD Workstation

sms1976
  • 68 months ago

I am building two PC's for our office, and had a question about power supplies...Here is the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DGCyHx

Now, PCPartPicker says I need around 340-360W, depending on hard drive configuration. I would like to try overclocking, though, so can anyone tell me how much more PSU I would need? I am finding lots of conflicting information on what additional draw OC'ing the 4790k will produce. It says 88W max for the 4960k, but how much if I wanted to try OC'ing? I understand the value of the 80 Plus Platinum-rated PSU's, so I'd like to get one of those if possible. I appreciate any input!

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Warlock; that's helpful. I had also wondered what load the PSU should be under, and that calculator recommends 90%. It doesn't look like they've added the 4790k yet, but I had read that the numbers are similar to an OC'd 4770K.

I found this from Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/2

Which shows the 4790k using 182W at 4.6GHz and 225W at 4.7GHz. I am wondering if that represents just the CPU wattage for replacing numbers in the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite or in the PCPartPicker calculations.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome. That article was intended to show the difference in system power requirements due to overclocking. For your own calculation, take a look at the vCore change and enter those figures. With that said, it goes without saying, actual vCore requirements and corresponding results will vary depending on the luck of the draw.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

A quick clarification...We will be using NVidia K4000 video cards, which state a max of 80W. They just aren't spec'd on this site.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

You're using gaming values for workstation needs and it looks weird. I would spend more on the m/bd and in an ASUS WS board, more RAM, 32gb and not have it OC'd. 2133mhz max and probably 1866. Look for lower latency, not speed. If anything I'd buy better RAM as well, Corsair Dom Plats. Not for the funky looks but it's their best, most reliable stuff. Since you aren't going the EMM route with that cost you want the best you can find. AS for the psu, why so close in factoring your needs? Use 550W and call it a day.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube