add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time gaming build - Would like feedback before I empty the bank account!

mcgeeb
  • 70 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $94.99 @ Mwave
Motherboard ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $114.99 @ Newegg
Memory A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $247.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $99.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card $369.99 @ Amazon
Case Rosewill Legacy W1-B-Window Mini ITX Tower Case $110.49 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ NCIX US
Other Panasonic UJ-265 6X 3D Blu-ray Burner Writer DVD-R DVD-RW 12.7mm SATA Optical Drive $69.35
Other Coboc Black SATA III 6" 90 Degree to 180 Degree Data Cable w/Latch $0.68
Other Silverstone CP10 Sleeved Slim-SATA to SATA Adapter Cable $10.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1504.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-07 22:12 EDT-0400

This will be my first build. My budget is ~$1500. OS, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc are not included in the budget because I have those. I will be purchasing by the end of this weekend. I don't have a Microcenter near me and I will try to stick with Newegg, Amazon, and Tiger Direct unless there's a spectacular deal elsewhere.

This PC will be used primarily for gaming at 1080p, but I am moving soon and may upgrade to a higher res setup, so I wanted headroom there. I also want this rig to last me a few years playing AAA games at the highest settings.

As far as graphics are concerned, it was kind of a tossup between a GTX 770 and a R9 290. It looks like I can fit the R9 290 into my budget

I specifically want to build in a smaller form factor. I really like the look of this case (don't care about the window either way, but definitely do want black and the windowed version is cheaper now). Other m-ITX cases I considered/ am considering are the Corsair 250D, Silverstone ML07 (would require a different PSU), Silverstone FT03 and FT03 Mini (both seemed too limited with GPUs), and the Fractal Design Node 605 (could switch to m-ATX and may save a bit of money).

If you all know of other cases that might fit my tastes, I'm not totally stuck on this. I chose it because it's minimalistic and wouldn't look terrible in the living room. Also because it had a slim OD slot, space for a beefy GPU, and has enough space for a 140mm radiator. Later on, I am interested in seeing if I could stick a NZXT Kraken G10 and x31 on the back fan of this case. It would be a very tight fit, but it just may work.

Finally, as far as aesthetics go, I'd like to color coordinate somewhat (not willing to sacrifice tons of money for it though) if I'm getting a case with a window.

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

It's pretty nice. You seem very serious about this and I don't blame you considering how much you're gonna spend on this build! If you want a second opinion on some things to maybe change or consider whilst building this PC, contact me via Skype and I'd be delighted to help a fellow PC enthusiast out. Also I have a Kraken x61, just installed it recently :) My skype is KillerDisturbed, feel free to contact me whenever!

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks - it's something I've wanted to do for years, but only recently have had the time and money to do it. Go big or go home, I say!

Can't skype this weekend - did you see any glaring issues with the build or anywhere that I'm not getting a good value?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

That's fine. Can always skype another time, just add me whenever you're free dude! And I'd always recommend the same to anyone who wants to build - if you can save up a bit more then do so, cause then the hardware will last you longer in the long run! Things I'd change personally? Size of the PC. That motherboard and case will always be hardly expandable and will be probably the most annoying thing ever to build - granted once you have it built, you'll have a compact PC that'll look pretty nice. I prefer mid-towers cause it's a nice middle ground, and would personally take a full tower, however I have the luxury of being able to have my PC on the floor to the right of me. So if I were you, I'd go Mini-ATX at least or ATX and get an according case. Plus, at those size motherboard/cases, they get more "premium", in the sense that there's just more features and expansion. However, to each their own. Other than that, nothing is glaring out at me. Good graphics card, good PSU, good case, good CPU/Mobo combo, RAM is fine but you could color co-ordinate better to be honest. If you're interested in a red/black color scheme I think I can help. Like with getting some low-profile G.Skill sniper RAM that's black and red, and then maybe an ASUS ROG ITX motherboard. Could make the color scheme look nicer! Then the pump on the x41, you can change the color to whatever you want so red if ya like and then you'll have a pretty beautiful build :) Also I feel like the x31 being attacked to your GPU is overkill, but again, kinda a neat idea and to each their own haha. Go for it if you want it! I'd invest that money into something else but up to you! Other than all that, not much else to say! Kraken x61 is a beast and I'm sure that x41 isn't a slouch by any stretch either! I get my Define R4 tomorrow and can't wait! :)

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey mate, this is a little edit off your build, it has about the same cost (slightly less) and packs the same punch!

Thing The Thingy The Thingy's Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $134.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $78.30 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card $369.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case $84.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $60.35 @ Amazon
Other Panasonic UJ-265 6X 3D Blu-ray Burner Writer DVD-R DVD-RW 12.7mm SATA Optical Drive $69.35
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1294.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-07 23:56 EDT-0400

Now I personally, I never really recommend Mini ITX cases unless you need a small work rig, it really leaves you with few options of expansion, but since you had a Mini ITX in your original list, I put one in there for you. I also changed your CPU cooler, that Kraken is a good cooler, but for 5$ more the 240mm Rad Corsair h100i will out perform it. In my version of the list I also downed the size of your SSD, my reason for this is because as it stands SSD's are mainly for putting your OS and afeq select programs on to increase the speed of your OS and those select programs dramatically. So i went with a low capacity high speed drive for the OS/Progs (120gb Samsung EVO SSD) and kept your high capacity slower speed drive for everything else which is a VERY common configuration with SSDs. Lastly I downed your PSU and saved you afew bucks, your rig would only be pulling about 420 Watts MAX so 750 Watts was overkill, I did, however, leave you with a fully modular 500W because I always get a PSU that supports 150-200 Watts over my needs to leave room for further expansions, but with your selected case, I'm not sure if it'll do you much good so instead of a 600W i just added a 500W to the list, it'll save you some money at-least, and it will power your rig adequately.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Now, all that being said, you If you'd like, I can mark up a better AMD version of this build for the same price (AMD has the best Value per Dollar). I'll post it in a sec.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Behold, the same amount of cash and a TON of better performance via the 8-Core 4.4GHZ Cpu!

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-9370 4.4GHz 8-Core Processor $199.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $109.99 @ NCIX US
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $86.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card $369.99 @ TigerDirect
Case Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $68.94 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1291.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-08 19:07 EDT-0400

Enjoy!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube