add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with first build for photo/video editing, reasonable music recording and light gaming!

hokieconky
  • 70 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/hokieconky/saved/jcqPxr

Hoping to get some feedback on a fully stocked system (i.e. monitor, keyboard, etc) that is intended for Photoshop elements, Premiere elements, lightroom, light gaming and basic music recording.

Trying to keep the cost low but maintain solid performance. Do I need more cooling? Any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty good build but you could do much better, and as for cooling, it's alright but you can do better at this price range... Skype me at KillerDisturbed, I can help you build a PC for cheaper possibly that'll perform admirably better :)

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $188.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI H87M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $76.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $142.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $149.99 @ Newegg
Case Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $37.99 @ Mwave
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $54.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor $89.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Aerocool Silent Master 200B 76.0 CFM 200mm Fan $19.98 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Logitech MK320 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $23.99 @ B&H
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1020.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-07 22:50 EDT-0400

not sure of your budget so here is an idea

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I think my build was almost the same price. Looks like your trading up for upgrade on the processor (major performance difference?), different cooling, a downgrade on the motherboard (max 16GB ram), paying more for slower RAM, trading up on the video card, and increasing power supply.

So you believe this would be a better setup, or just a few bucks cheaper?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

it will be a better setup...

First, the processor i picked is just a bit faster and updated.

You can easily upgrade the motherboard if you want something better.

You will want an aftermarket cooler

And actually, my ram is less but is actually faster, because your ram only has 11 Cas Latency (lower is better) and mine has 7CL. So mine is faster. You wont notice any real world difference between different MHz unless it is 1333 to 2133mhz....

My video card is better by a lot

my power supply is actually trust worthy and worth the money. and it is the right wattage

so yes, it is better

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome..thanks for schooling me on the RAM, did not know about latency and was only looking at MHz rating.

And I was hesitant about the bundled power supply on the case.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

no problem. most people think the same you do and at one point i did too. But 1600mhz and 7cl is amazing for you!

bundled psu's arent usually very good especially with budget cases. that probably would have been not enough power and damaged you components.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Other than excess heat, are there any issues associated with an oversized power supply?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Here what I recommend. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gDJ88d I know I downgraded the CPU, but it's good for your tasks, cause it has hyperthreading. Downgraded the RAM, cause RAM speed rarely makes a difference in real world tasks. And since I saved you a lot of money, from the money I saved you, I added a better graphics card, but you still saved money. ;p I hope you enjoy my recommendation, feel free to question me.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

So a dual core with hyperthreading beats out a quad core without?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Basically yeah, but not so sure. Most likely, yeah. If you don't like the CPU suggestion, you can go with a i5 4690K, if that matches your budget.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube