add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ABOUT TO PULL THE TRIGGER ANY LAST MINUTE ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

OGdogbone
  • 70 months ago

I have been thinking back and fourth on this build for about 3 months trying to tweak everything so that it is just right and now i think i have finally got everything to where i want it but if anyone notices something that could be changed for better performance or had better reliability for example the mother board and the power supply are areas of concern for me although they seem to have good reviews im not entirely sure they are quality products. If you guys spot anything else that you would personally change id love to hear your takes on the build. Im basically hoping to reassure myself that the build is good and im getting top performance out of it for the money im putting in. Thank you all for your help and advice in advance.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/OGdogbone/saved/K9Tp99

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks great, your set to go.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

this was my other build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/OGdogbone/saved/bj4Ycf

but i think the 780 build is better preformance wise hopefully any way

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

It will, just make sure you are happy with it.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

The psu is not really fitting your budget. I would recommend going with a seasonic built XFX psu or just a seasonic one.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

This is my take on it, explanation to follow.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $238.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $137.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $73.95 @ Newegg
Storage Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.00 @ Adorama
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card $369.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case $79.19 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $81.24 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $99.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $269.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $28.75 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1561.05
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-08 02:36 EDT-0400

RAM: Same performance, cheaper. Color still matches build (looks like you have a red/black thing going on)

SSD: Added 256GB SSD for O/S + frequently used apps. In this price range there is no reason not to get one.

Motherboard: Swapped to Z97 variant. No major differences aside from M2 if I recall correctly. But no sense going new and buying "old" stuff.

GPU: The R9 290 essentially offers equivalent performance to the GTX 780 while coming in nearly $100 cheaper. If you plan to use Shadowplay, then you are stuck with an Nvidia card. The $100 saved allows room for the SSD. (This is coming from a guy who uses 2 x GTX 780's)

Case: HAF 912 is a decent case, but lacks front USB 3.0 and has no window to show off your color scheme. Swapped to the Corsair 300R w/ Window. Very solid case to work with and quality is very good.

PSU: Swapped to EVGA 80+ Gold + Fully modular. Has more than enough power while offering better quality than the Corsair CX series.

Build ends up $40 more, but you get an SSD, better case, and better PSU. If it were up to me, I would save an additional $100 and go with an IPS panel, or spend the extra $50 and get a Korean 1440P monitor such as the Qnix Q2710 or Xstar DP2710 (same monitor) and overclock it to 100-120Hz.

• 70 months ago
  • 0 points

the memory from crucial is a good swap the kind of thing im looking for

may add the ssd but may go with the kingston ssdnow as it about 55 dollars

the mobo was a z97 mobo i believe just not the x variant is there ea significant diffrence in performance quality ?

i had a 290 in the build for the longest time but decided to go nividia as im going to use the card for streaming and shadow play is valuable for that along witht he advanced physx and g sync capable monitor make me lean twoards the 780 although there is the price premuim

would you recommend the haf 912 advanced which comes with a usb 3.0 port or just stick to the 300r my room often really hot so i was concerned with air flow in the case

psu looks like a solid swap thankyou deffinetly going with that

thank you for all the help

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are going with a Kingston SSD, avoid the V300. I would recommend a 256GB SSD at minimum as 128GB really isn't much space.

You're right, you already had the Z97 version. I believe the X has a couple more features including M2 support and better VRM cooling. Something to consider for only $12 more.

If Shadowplay is a big thing for you, then by all means go with the GTX 780.

I would go with the Corsair 300R solely based on showing off your color scheme. From a quality standpoint, I would still go with a Corsair but personal preference does come into play when it comes to cases.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

my original had the 500r , i like corsair as well just trying to keep the budget in control but your right why have a color scheme if no one is going to see it

the x variant seems like a logical upgrade so ill pick that up

and as a owner of 2 780's do you think software like OBS would cause a R9 290 to sink to a low frame rate well streaming or would it be doable because if so the only thing nividia would have up on the R9 is Physx which i dont think is a really big deal in gaming ,but whats your take on having the advanced Physx since i"ve never actually seen the difference

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I use the 500R myself. Extremely solid case to use. Killer airflow as well.

I don't think the R9 290 would struggle with OBS, but I don't have personal experience with it. OBS does support Nvidia so it should be quicker on an Nvidia card in comparison. I would definitely do some Googling to see what kind of performance differences there are between AMD and Nvidia with this particular software.

PhysX isn't really a huge deal. Personally, I have only run into a handful of games that actually support it.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

alright ill put in little more research and see what OBS does to the 290 thank you for your help man feels like the build been refined just that little extra to where its gonna be perfect

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

if anyone has a recomendation or just some guide lines im pretty lost as far as monitiors some say the 144hz can cause tearing if the card isnt keeping up others say there is no problem and then there is those who say its perfect on a ips panel in 1440p i wanna try to get a 1440p if possible because i wanna get full use out of the 780 really just wondering if someone can silence all the chatter and give me a straight forwad answer as to what monitor is going to work best for my 780 card.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube