add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Meguel15
  • 70 months ago

So I've been shopping the markets for my first build and came across this 'combo' deal Newegg has. Check it out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1780312

Any criticisms? Any bottlenecks? Anything extra to go along with it? (SSD, extra cooling, etc?)

I already have a monitor, mouse and keyboard. Also how long Dr you think this deal will be up? I'm very new too this type of thing any opinions will be appreciated!

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely not a bad deal. I would go with something like this myself.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sppGhM

CPU: Swapped to FX8320, performance is similar to FX8350 and can be easily overclocked to FX8350 perf. with a decent cooler.

Motherboard: More feature packed version of M5A97 LE. Would personally go with a 990FX motherboard if you could fit it into the budget.

GPU: R9 280 outperforms R9 270X while fitting into the $650 price range total.

RAM: Dual channel kit. Negligible performance difference in gaming, but it doesn't cost any more and you have 4x ram slots.

Case: Much better than case in bundle.

PSU: Fits budget, prefer Corsair over Rosewill.

An SSD is a nice addition, but isn't really required if gaming is the main purpose of the build.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome man, thanks for the quick reply and helpful tips. I'll definitely be considering that build for sure!

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Not a problem. Is there any particular budget you are working with? Also, which games do you plan to pay and at what resolution?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I'm needing an upgrade for star citizen. No official requirements for that game since it's in development, but speculation fromm the devs indicate you need a tough rig to play at medium+ settings. Resolution of the monitor is 1680x1050

Budget: 750

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

This is what I would do with $750 (approx)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $139.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $109.99 @ NCIX US
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $73.95 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Club 3D Radeon R9 280X 3GB royalQueen Video Card $249.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case $44.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $770.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-08 03:32 EDT-0400

MOBO: 990FX chipset allows for better overclocking and has more features. Overclock FX8320 to FX8350 clocks.

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO is a solid cooler for the price. Will allow for moderate overclocks.

GPU: R9 280X, better performer than R9 280. Should easily overclock to 1Ghz on Core.

PSU: 750watts seems like overkill, but once you OC the CPU and GPU it will be nice to have the head room.

@ your current resolution, this build should crush the vast majority of games maxed out. You could go with the R9 280 (non X), save $50 and overclock it to R9 280X like performance.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya, that last part is exactly what I was thinking. I have a couple of options to think about obvious. Thanks for the advice once again!

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Consider this. Nearly all games 1080p ultra settings easy. Very upgradable too.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Knowledge/saved/8gJgXL

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube