add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time building a PC, looking for help/advice/suggestions on motherboard and overall specs

nopuelbmuts
  • 70 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $254.99 @ NCIX
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $28.99 @ Canada Computers
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $123.50 @ Vuugo
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $89.98 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Memory Express
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $104.99 @ Memory Express
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $389.99 @ NCIX
Case Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ NCIX
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ NCIX
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $163.34 @ TigerDirect Canada
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1455.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-09 00:11 EDT-0400

(The total cost should be around 100 bucks cheaper, since I can get the OS at the student rate)

Specifically, I wanted to know more about what I should buy for the motherboard, as I've seen posts where people said the mobo was far too high-end for the system as a whole, as well as the reverse where the motherboard limited how much overclocking could be done. There doesn't seem to be that much literature readily available on this topic, and I would love to hear what you guys have to say/suggest.

The one that I've got picked out so far seems to offer everything that I need, as well as supporting crossfire/SLI for future upgrades. The reason I'm confused here is because if you take, for example, a comparison with this board it seems to me like basically the same thing except for 2 extra SATA slots/more compatible RAM frequencies, but nearly $80 difference. Where does that money go to?

I'm also a bit concerned that I'm spending too much on the PSU, any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

First of all, please don't get seagate hard drives bigger than 1TB. They are not reliable and will crash on you. Get a western digital or hitachi hard drive.

Also replace that ssd for this one that is better

For that motherboard your really paying for extra sata ports since you can still overclock to those higher frequencies. Just stay with the cheeper one.

That psu is fine and if you go into crossfire in the future you are perfect.

Besides this just change the ssd to the one i linked and you will have a great build.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

You have no idea how happy I am to get a reply, been waiting to make a decision on this all day, but I wasn't sure whether or not there would be any problems. Thanks so much!

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

You kinda posted during a dead time, where everyone is busy, I think i replied to over 20+ topics just now.

Either way if you have any more questions I'll be glad to help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube