add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Build - H100i Fan too noisy, should I RMA it?

beijing0305

66 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $128.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $76.50 @ Newegg
Storage Sandisk X210 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $179.98 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $73.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card $205.66 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $19.94 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1194.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-09 13:02 EDT-0400

Thanks for all the help to get the new built running...the only thing now is that H100i is way too noisy. After working on it for a couple of hours, I felt like I am losing my hearing.

I have Corsair link installed (latest firmware), changed all the fan settings to Quiet Mode. The "Quiet" setting doesn't seem to do anything to the speed of the fans - H100i fan (x2) attached to the radiator is way too loud. Any recommendation?

More readings from Corsair Link software: CPU load 2~4% Intake fan 924 rpm Exhaust fan 850 rpm Radeon R9 fan 1430 rpm

hmm...I don't see one for the radiator fan control? Where should I start? Thanks.

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Where do you have the Corsair fans plugged in? I'm going to assume not on the actual pump itself, or else you should be able to control them. You should have what looks like two fan splitters that came with the H100i. You need to plug one of those into the pump, and then plug your fans into that and it should allow you to control the fans. I had the same problem with my H80i because I rushed through the installation and just plugged the fans into random motherboard headers.

Hope this was able to help.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I just uninstall and reinstall firmware, rebooted.

Corsair fans are 4-pin, and I have them plugged into the pump that comes with a splitter. The pump has two splitter which will give me connection to 4 fans.

I am able to control it somewhat, but it's still loud, not as loud as before.

Thanks.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Could just be that the fans are loud. I almost always wear headphones and my PC is under my desk so I don't notice it too much, but you could try picking up some quieter fans. I know Noctua makes some excellent PWM fans that are quiet and effective. The color isn't too great, at least on the old ones.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I am seriously thinking about returning the H100i. The noise is gonna drive me nuts! Would the stock fan be okay for now if I don't overclock for the time being?

Thanks for all your help and inputs.

[comment deleted]
  • 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a similar problem I think the problem might be that under Corsairlink you have two different things controlling the fans, try deleting all of your saved profiles and then make a new one. Before doing this you can try right clicking on the fans then select "Remove from group" then add it to the group you want.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I own an H100i and there is something very important I noticed.

2700RPM = 2100RPM. There was NO difference in temperature between the two when I ran a burn test, however the difference in volume is noticeable.

I found that the ideal balance between performance and volume is about 1600-1700RPM. I get great cooling, even overclocked to the highest my chip will let me go, and it's a nice comfortable volume

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube