add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help rebuilding my 5 year old PC for gaming....

Rick03038
  • 70 months ago

Hi everyone, I had a PC built 5 years ago for gaming. Back then it was great and cost $2300. Well now it keeps shutting down and restarting and is just far to slow with a dual core 3 ghz and 4gig of ram. I have already replaced the video card with an Evga gtx 660ti and want to reuse that in the new build, along with the case, 600 watt power supply, fans, maybe one of the hard drives and the burner. The case will hold an atx mobo. I am not worried about overclocking. I know it would be a great option but I am not sure if the added cost of the CPU and water cooling system would be worth it to me. I would love to run 2 660ti since I already have one. I also need a new OS because the Vista just has to go...lol.

I am a fps player, mostly The Battlefield series. I want to do a rebuild the will handle the game in at least high quality if not ultra. My monitor is either a 22" led or I also play on my 73" dlp but I would like to upgrade that to a 27" or bigger. I would love to set up a 3 screen surround experience eventually.

I am getting confused with all the specs between i5 or i7, Amd vs Intel, cores, hyper threading, ram speed...etc. I don't want to spend big bucks so I guess my budget would be between $400 - $600 if possible. I'm sure that won't be easy and if I have to work a little more overtime to come up with extra money I will. As far as I can figure out I need a new CPU, motherboard, power supply if needed, ram and most likely a SSD for my OS and games. I really need to see how much money I need to get a hold of the make this happen. If I could afford to build a $2500 game playing experience that would be awesome but I don't see that happening with a 2 year old running around the house.....damn kids are expensive...lol.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have been watching You Tube videos on building computers so I feel I can do it myself but I don't know enough about the hardware to make a good decision on what to buy so I am hoping I can get the best answers here.

Sorry for such a long post, my lack of experience with this build and thanks in advance for your ideas and input,

Rick

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

For some general ideas of current hardware and corresponding prices: TheTechReport

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube